What are you fermenting today?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I made refrigerator pickles and added whey. Since I still used my favorite vinegar base, it may not ferment but I figured it was worth a try.

On some things, I just like the vinegar flavor better. I'll let you know how it works out.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I made refrigerator pickles and added whey. Since I still used my favorite vinegar base, it may not ferment but I figured it was worth a try.

On some things, I just like the vinegar flavor better. I'll let you know how it works out.
Wifezilla, can't you ferment them, drain them and then add the vinegar? Or will that kill the good probiotics?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I found kefir AND kombucha starter on CL today!! :woot

I emailed the person today, I'll let you know what I get.

I also found a source for raw goat's milk...legal! Yahoo!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I found kefir AND kombucha starter on CL today!! :woot

I emailed the person today, I'll let you know what I get.

I also found a source for raw goat's milk...legal! Yahoo!
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! There'll be no stopping you now!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I'm making yogurt, so I can get whey and then make fermented carrots and I also want to make some homemade bread and use the yogurt in it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have family visiting and I fed my parents and my two teenaged nephews a supper of nachos with lots of ferments. They remarked at how satisfied they felt, more so than ever, and wondered if it was all the enzymes in the food. Smart kids!

We had tortilla chips with melted cheddar, fermented bean paste dip, kefir cheese flavored with my fermented herb mix meant for salad dressing, fermented cucumber salsa, and I introduced them to kombucha with ginger chai flavoring. Later, I made some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and I replaced the water in the recipe with whey and left the dough in the fridge for a few days. I also used freshly ground whole wheat flour. They were wonderful.

Tomorrow we will have a cheese-tasting for breakfast...or lunch. Oh, and everyone wanted to taste the fermented mustard, so I took out a bunch of spoons for that. One nephew wanted to try a spoonful of the herb mixture strait.....:sick Then he said he liked it after his taste buds were totally overwhelmed! :lol: Got some brave kids here.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My house is a blast for those with an adventurous spirit. For the stick-in-the-mud type.....watch out, I can get mischievous! :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I started a small batch of fermented beets, from NT. I cut the salt in half, since it sounded like a lot, and freemotion mentioned on another thread that the carrots from that book were way too salty. I like pickled beets with vinegar; I'll see in a few days whether I like them fermented.

Latest posts