What are you fermenting today?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Cucumber salsa is a keeper :celebrate

All I did was sub cucumbers for tomato in the recipe I posted earlier.

Yummmmyyyy!!!

Catalina

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
What did you add to the brine Catalina?

Currently I have my almonds whizzing in the dehydrator...this time I soaked them in whey and sea salt water...I forgot to do that last time and just soaked them in water for 12 hours.

I can't wait to try one!
I posted the directions with pictures on my blog
http://dustbathladies.blogspot.com/2009/08/canning-dill-crock.html

I'm doing another experiment too with just cucumbers - tasted one today YUM! It was good!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We've been picking cucumbers twice a day :lol:
So I thought it was high time that I made some fermented cucumbers. I'm using lemon cukes, since that is what we have lots of. The green ones were planted later and are just starting to produce.
I used a recipe out of Carla Emery's book and am fermenting them in a cookie jar I bought at the Goodwill Outlet a few weeks ago just for this purpose. It has a slightly cracked lid, but that will be ok for storing the pickles once they have completed the fermentation. For now they are "decorating the counter", but I'll have to find a better place for them, since the kitchen counter can get a little too warm for making fermented pickles. I'll have to convince SO that they would look very nice in the family room, where the temperature is a little cooler. ;)

I had a roomate from Lithuania a few years ago and she used to make "counter top pickles" as she called them. They were primarily salted, but unfortunately I misplaced her recipe. They were sooo good.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I started my new batch of kombucha last Sunday, I tasted it yesterday and again, it is still too sweet! Why can't I get this to work?

I have not given up and will give it a few more days. There is some funk growing on top but nothing that looks like a mother.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Dace, I will happily send you a mother once the weather cools off a lot. It will cook in the cargo hold of the plane right now. I've heard that it can be tricky to get a mother from plain kombucha. But the mother does look like white spots floating on top for a few days, once it appears. Don't disturb it at all, even to taste it. Don't move the jar. Let those little colonies come together to form the pancake-looking mother, then you can move it around. It is pretty fool-proof once you have a mother. Never fear!

Most of the cucumber salsa is gone....and it wasn't even done fermenting yet! Me and dh discovered that, although we don't care for commercial salsa, we love homemade! But it was too hot, so I cut it with tomatoes when I served it.. Yum!

I also have a new batch of bean paste fermenting.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Most of the cucumber salsa is gone....and it wasn't even done fermenting yet! Me and dh discovered that, although we don't care for commercial salsa, we love homemade! But it was too hot, so I cut it with tomatoes when I served it.. Yum!
LOLOLOLOL

It took me 3 batches of salsa to get some to put by! Nice to know I am not the only one with this problem.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Free thanks for the offer :) I am still thinking there is a chance it will happen here!

That cuke salsa sounds yummy...did you eat it with chips or pita or??

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We ate it with tortilla chips with cheddar melted on them. I served three dips: fermented bean paste, the salsa, and in my lament about having no sour cream in the house, I reached for some drained kefir that had been sitting in a mug in the fridge, forgotten, and added a spoonful of my fermented fresh herb salad dressing mix....oh, it was the yummiest quick meal ever! I have another quart+ of kefir draining now, so I can make this for my company, coming tomorrow.

I would've loved some guacamole, but looked at avacadoes in the store and :ep and the same with black olives :th Sausage would've been good, too, and had some in the freezer, but I was working without a counter and sink and tripping over guy's feet, so I kept it simple.

Isn't it amazing....our cheap and humble homemade fare is comparable to what you might get, if you are outrageously wealthy, in a high-end restaurant in Manhatten! I served some to the friend who was nice enough to put our new sink and countertop in and he kept asking about the cheese....what kind is it....it was the exact same stuff he buys, (I didn't use the goat cheddar, as I didn't have one open, and I didn't want him to see me cutting the moldy rind off! :rolleyes: ) but he kept wondering why it was so much better. I told him that all the homemade accompaniments (sp???) were waking up his tastebuds! :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I love it! Good story about your friend being so impressed!

I have a close friend coming over for a few hours today to work on a project and no handy snacks :smack and not much money to blow.....
Gonna make some homemade pita, hummus and cuke salsa. All I need to buy is jalepeno, cilantro and green onions. That should be all of a couple bucks :) :weee

So to be clear that cuke salsa recipe is not fermented (as I read it) did you ferment yours? If so how?