What are you fermenting today?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I LOVE eating the drained yogurt layered with fruit and sweetened with a little stevia. I parfait it in half pint canning jars and put them in the front of the top shelf in the fridge, where they get eaten up very quickly! Mmmmm!

Can't figure out how to drain goat yogurt, though. It is runny and yet clogs the cloth and doesn't drain. When I tried a looser weave cloth, it all ran right through!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, freemotion, these fermented beans of yours - I take it these are not miso, but something else? More like bean dip? From your description I would say definitely - either bigger jars or fewer beans :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, bean dip, definitely nothing like miso....south of the border, not the other side of the planet! I do have miso in my fridge, but I bought it, already fermented for 3 years.....I don't have that kind of patience!

I put it into two quart jars and one pint jar....I think I would use four quart jars next time, and re-pack it when done. I thought it might by my super-powerful whey from cheesemaking, but my ketchup is behaving itself like a proper little lady....so far.

So I guess the idea is that ALL the gas is now OUT of the beans???? :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I love drained yogurt too. I didn't know that goat yogurt was so tricky. Weird!!!

My mead is still bubbling away and that batch of cukes is almost gone. They are so good!!! :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I think I am fermenting blackberries...forgot I had them in the fridge ;) I might put them with the fermented strawberries, that I also forgot and see what we'll get :lol:

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow, all of you have been so busy! I admit, I know nothing about fermenting.. aside from making yogurt and chevre. My yogurt is always far too runny to bag any of it, I've debated putting arrowroot powder or corn starch in it to make it thicker - I hate runny yogurt.

BBH, do you buy your yogurt then hang it? How much whey do you get and how long does it take?

Free, have you ever made chevre? I never did like the taste - I'm just not a chevre person - but got a nice amount of whey.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you make your yogurt out of heavy cream and drain it, it will be REALLY thick.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Theres no such thing as heavy cream when your talking about goat milk - I should have clarified that this is goat milk.