What are you fermenting today?

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:gig

speaking of Freemotion... the bean paste is AWESOME. my hubby won't try it but he is happy I am enjoying my beans without bean side effects, lol.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's great FF. DW just asked me why I was humming to myself. I was trying to get the tune and the lyrics to work. Very good job girlfriend!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Farmfresh- I love your song! It's gonna be stuck in my head now . :lol:
Freemotion- Bet you didn't know you would inspire a song with your cooking practices.

Now I have a weird question. Last week I harvested some grape leaves to brine them. But I set them aside and forgot. They got dried out but no mold.
Can I soak them in some plain water to rehydrate then brine them?
Or just stick them in the salt water and hope for the best?
Jars of grape leaves cost so much here so I really dont want to waste them.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
The mountain I got them from is pretty steep and my heel is hurting now. Not happening today. Might go again later in the season, to check for grapes.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I'd try just putting them in the salt water myself. Doesn't sound like you have much to lose at this point other than a bit of salt.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
framing fowl said:
I'd try just putting them in the salt water myself. Doesn't sound like you have much to lose at this point other than a bit of salt.
Cool. Now I just gotta wait for hubby to be out of the kitchen. He's making chili. I hope he doesn't blow me away tonight.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I used to refer to dh as "the gaseous anomaly." Then I learned about fermenting beans before cooking....the long soak of 24 hours with something acidic like whey or vinegar to neutralize the phytates. The dogs and I are ever so grateful to Sally Fallen Morell and Dr. Price! :p

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
"the gaseous anomaly." :lol: I hope he never reads this.
Now I gotta find the instructions for bring the grape leaves, and also get the other project going.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I strained and bottled my first batch of ACV today. Started two gallon jars of kombucha. I cut the scooby in half. The kombucha vinegar went in another jar. Not sure what I will use it for.

g