1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Canning Meat.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What are you harvesting now?

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by sumi, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Dec 16, 2015
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Almost Self-Reliant

Sitting has merits. Shell peas, snap beans, chop, stir, mix....prep for canning!! Geesh, I'd love to have that help! LOL

I'm sure you two will be able to ENJOY retirement. It will all work out. Every day is one closer. Just think of breakfast coffee, tea, etc. on the porch -- quiet and comfy. I can relate.

Harvesting? right now, only eggs......and free fertilizer from all the animals. Look, that fertilizer has a REAL value beyond the organic plus -- just price the commercial stuff at any store!!:p

tortoise likes this.
  2. Dec 18, 2015
    Euphoric Mania

Euphoric Mania Power Conserver

I am currently in limbo. The strawberries and raspberries appear to have finished, and the black currants aren't quite ready yet. Everything else is still growing.

3. Dec 18, 2015
    Britesea

Britesea Super Self-Sufficient

@Mini Horses my DH is a little nervous since my you're-retired-honeydo list is running about 7 volumes now...

4. Dec 19, 2015
    Mini Horses

Hey....he'll need something to do! Really, after a week you aren't ready to go from 60 to 0 forever. Keep on writing!!:clap

5. Dec 20, 2015
    Euphoric Mania

This is most of my black currant "crop", minus the few bunches that still need time to ripen. DCam211215.jpg

baymule and sumi like this.
  6. Dec 21, 2015
    Britesea

Britesea Super Self-Sufficient

Whatcha gonna do with them?

7. Dec 21, 2015
    Euphoric Mania

Cook them up and make a cordial or something. I wonder how they'd go with my water kefir.

8. Dec 30, 2015
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Eggs! They're laying again! And young ones have just started! I'm so excited to have eggs again! :love

Other than that I have little pots of oregano and thyme in my kitchen window that I prune/harvest once a month.

baymule likes this.
  9. Dec 30, 2015
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Made broccoli/cheese soup for the grandkiddos and we got the broccoli right from the garden. Yummy!

baymule likes this.
  10. Apr 2, 2016
    Mini Horses

Spring is "almost" here....up & down weather!! 70-80 couple days, 45-50 couple days, too cool nights for young plants.

BUT...yesterday I did go to a section where I had been building up some great composted dirt (chickens helped to mix the goat stalls cleanouts & horse "piles" that had been tossed in there last year). I dug some before the predicted rains and decided to pot at least a few things, hopeful to have plants to put out in a few weeks. Figured their sprouting would push me to get the piggy tillers moved to new field and plow where they had been prepping for last few months. Heavy rain prevented this move & plow 2 weeks ago. Sooooo, proof of my attempts...
    and this dirt is nicer than any potting mix I've ever bought.

Hoping to get more done today as it is a day of misty rains with heavy downpours predicted. Crap. But, need to do this.
    Garden  seeded & moist.JPG

The hens have had their free range moved to an adjacent horse pasture and they are happily spreading the "piles" those stallions have made. Plus, yesterday I got 27 eggs from 30 hens!!! Nine dozen sold -- so things are going well with those girls. Of course, I have 10 dozen in the frig. :p

Anything not sold before chicken swap next Sat will go there.
    No biggie, I rotate them, so always just a few days old. Far better than 1 month old when they deliver to a store. Most people don't even realize they are that old when delivered.
    And, mine are truly free range!!

Guess it's time for a "2016 Garden" thread to start.

baymule likes this.