What are you harvesting now?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sitting has merits. Shell peas, snap beans, chop, stir, mix....prep for canning!! Geesh, I'd love to have that help! LOL

I'm sure you two will be able to ENJOY retirement. It will all work out. Every day is one closer. Just think of breakfast coffee, tea, etc. on the porch -- quiet and comfy. I can relate.

Harvesting? right now, only eggs......and free fertilizer from all the animals. Look, that fertilizer has a REAL value beyond the organic plus -- just price the commercial stuff at any store!!:p

Euphoric Mania

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am currently in limbo. The strawberries and raspberries appear to have finished, and the black currants aren't quite ready yet. Everything else is still growing.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey....he'll need something to do! Really, after a week you aren't ready to go from 60 to 0 forever. Keep on writing!!:clap

Euphoric Mania

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is most of my black currant "crop", minus the few bunches that still need time to ripen.
DCam211215.jpg

Euphoric Mania

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Cook them up and make a cordial or something. I wonder how they'd go with my water kefir.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Eggs! They're laying again! And young ones have just started! I'm so excited to have eggs again! :love

Other than that I have little pots of oregano and thyme in my kitchen window that I prune/harvest once a month.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Spring is "almost" here....up & down weather!! 70-80 couple days, 45-50 couple days, too cool nights for young plants.

BUT...yesterday I did go to a section where I had been building up some great composted dirt (chickens helped to mix the goat stalls cleanouts & horse "piles" that had been tossed in there last year). I dug some before the predicted rains and decided to pot at least a few things, hopeful to have plants to put out in a few weeks. Figured their sprouting would push me to get the piggy tillers moved to new field and plow where they had been prepping for last few months. Heavy rain prevented this move & plow 2 weeks ago. Sooooo, proof of my attempts...
and this dirt is nicer than any potting mix I've ever bought.

Hoping to get more done today as it is a day of misty rains with heavy downpours predicted. Crap. But, need to do this.
Garden  seeded & moist.JPG

The hens have had their free range moved to an adjacent horse pasture and they are happily spreading the "piles" those stallions have made. Plus, yesterday I got 27 eggs from 30 hens!!! Nine dozen sold -- so things are going well with those girls. Of course, I have 10 dozen in the frig. :p

Anything not sold before chicken swap next Sat will go there.
No biggie, I rotate them, so always just a few days old. Far better than 1 month old when they deliver to a store. Most people don't even realize they are that old when delivered.
And, mine are truly free range!!

Guess it's time for a "2016 Garden" thread to start.