What are you having for your Christmas meal this year?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Anything nontraditional? Is anyone trying to do a meal comprised of mostly home grown items? We are doing things a little differently this year and was wondering if anyone else is trying anything new or different.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We raised geese this year. Lyla, may she rest in peace, ;) is going to be our guest of honor this year. Can't wait. I've always heard of Christmas goose and now we get to try some. The kids are gluten intolerant so we get to change up the menu some.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Italian. Vegetarian and Gluten Free with a little Lactose Intolerance thrown in..

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We will be having filet mignon, baked potatoes, and salads. Sadly thats none homegrown except the filets. But it will good!! :drool

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Big meals are done at Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. Christmas is more of a buffet/grazing table of small stuff. Most of the "old folks" are gone (now we're the "old folks"), so it's more about the kids spending time together.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Grazing here, too. Maybe some chicken and noodle soup w/bread (homemade noodles and bread), but usually veggies, dips, cheese, crackers and some desserts. One year we had nachos, tacos, etc. - all Mexican fare. DD and SIL have several Christmas dinners to attend, so they're pretty tired of the big meals by then.

I stopped the big meals years ago so I could enjoy the day, too.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My parents will be here, so we're having turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, Parker House rolls, and some sort of pie. (Monk wants pumpkin... he's obsessed.. LOL)

Unfortunately, none of that will be from Ivy Hill... maybe next year! ;-)

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what we're having... Neither of us has any family nearby and we don't have a vehicle that I would trust going any farther than town, so I believe we will be going down the road to the neighbor's place. His DD & SIL are in town and they are vegan and he and his DS (who has now moved in with him, they are both in their 80's) are SDA and don't eat pork. All I know for sure is that I will be baking a few things for dessert. Not sure what yet.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here we do a big late breakfast- breakfast caserole, toast with homemade jelly, oj, milk planned this year. Last year we did pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage links, toast. So we arnt hungry till afternoon and by then we are all lazy and just eat quick heat and eat- I think this year I am going to get frozen pizzas. (Forgot that when I went to town yesterday)