What are you planning to plant?

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So far I am not really sure what I am going to plant. Tomatoes, corn, turnips, lettuce, cukes, potatoes, squash, peas, beans and cabbage for sure. Probably some popcorn, flax, and wheat if I can find some. I think I am going to go with climbing tomatoes and a few unusual varieties this year. I will probably be adding to the list later on when I figure out how much space I am actually going to have.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
So far I am not really sure what I am going to plant. Tomatoes, corn, turnips, lettuce, cukes, potatoes, squash, peas, beans and cabbage for sure. Probably some popcorn, flax, and wheat if I can find some. I think I am going to go with climbing tomatoes and a few unusual varieties this year. I will probably be adding to the list later on when I figure out how much space I am actually going to have.
Lettuce, cabbage, turnips, rutabegas, parsnips, onions, potatoes, carrots, summer squash, winter squash and if we have room, peas and bush beans.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have been thinkiing on this and planning some today. I have already informed my family that gardening this year WILL be a family affair. lat year the weeds were so bad, and with everything else I had to do, the only free time (for the most part) was mid afternoon, when it was so hot out, (read--It was too hot to weed)that the weeds took over. Having a garden is extremely important to our family--I have told them in no uncertain terms that all will be assigned garden chores this season. I haven't decided what I'm gonna plant yet, but even though last years garden was a bust, I want to expand in certain areas.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The climbing tomatoes I grew last year were DELICIOUS!!! Not very productive, but boy were they worth the taste :D

I am growing 3 different kinds of mini melons (Collective Farm Woman, Golden Sweet & Rich Sweetness 132), cucumbers, dwarf sweet corn, red noodle beans, tomatoes, pumpkin, chufa, amaranth, lettuce, cabbage and sweet potatoes.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
The climbing tomatoes I grew last year were DELICIOUS!!! Not very productive, but boy were they worth the taste :D

I am growing 3 different kinds of mini melons (Collective Farm Woman, Golden Sweet & Rich Sweetness 132), cucumbers, dwarf sweet corn, red noodle beans, tomatoes, pumpkin, chufa, amaranth, lettuce, cabbage and sweet potatoes.
What is the date to maturity on those melons?

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
here's the veggies:
sunflowers
2 types melons
watermelons
canteloupe
crookneck summer squash
butternut squash
cucumbers
peas
3 types bell peppers
onions
green beans
cabbage
potatoes
sweet potatoes
cauliflower
broccoli
brussel sprouts
spinach
carrots
zucchini
radish
lettuce
parsely
2 types tomatoes
basil
cinnamon basil
garlic
sweet corn
mini pumpkins
indian corn
2 types dry beans
pumpkins

and the herbs:
mullien
plantain
nasturtiums
lemon balm
feverfew
calendula
chicory
lavender
anise
mustard
catnip
soapwort
valerian
elencampane
peppermint
mugwort
chives
angelica
chamomile
echinacea
yarrow
st. johnswort
red clover
coriander/cilantro
comfrey

and planted in the greenhouse permanently will be thyme, sage, rosemary.

i think that's all of them... :plbb

the garden is about 50x150 ft with a seperate area about as big for corn, dry beans, pumpkins (planted native american style). and i'm adding a permanent herb garden this summer for all the herbs... which is gonna be about 11x27 ft :D
:weee :weee :weee

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I grow about 75 tomato plants, mostly pastes so I can can tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, chili, etc....
Gotta have my cucumbers and watermelons, zukes and peppers and onions and my good ol' mixed lettuce. I'm thinking this year we'll do some potatoes again and some sweet potatoes. I'll try to sneak some beets and carrots into the ground and the kids LOVE spinach so we'll have plenty of that out there. I'd like to try broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and celery again but they haven't done well for me here on the high desert so I'm thinking I'll just give up on those. No corn, just not cost effective for the amount of space it takes up. Okay, maybe a row or two since I already have some seed that's sitting here not doing anything. GOT to get some garlic and asparagus started this year. Assorted herbs too.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
farmerlor: if you don't have much space then you could plant your corn and then when its about knee high you can plant beans or peas or cucumbers or lots of different things. then you get corn and whatever other veggie from the same space. and you can plant pumpkins or squash to grow along the ground and act as a living mulch so you get three crops from one space and with less weeding!

just a suggestion :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Here's my list so far:
basil
radish
mesclun
cukes (salad, pickling and Mexican sour gherkins for the fun of it)
9 types of tomatoes
sugar snap peas
boston lettuce
bell peppers
jalapenos
habaneros
poblanos
arugula
kale
swiss chard
broccoli raab
zucchini
carrots
onions
green beans
oriental cabbage

I also got a free packet of turnip seeds :sick
I splurged on a packet of popping sorghum. If I can actually grow it I can give it to DS whose favorite food is popcorn, but is allergic to corn.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Here's my list so far:
basil
radish
mesclun
cukes (salad, pickling and Mexican sour gherkins for the fun of it)
9 types of tomatoes
sugar snap peas
boston lettuce
bell peppers
jalapenos
habaneros
poblanos
arugula
kale
swiss chard
broccoli raab
zucchini
carrots
onions
green beans
oriental cabbage

I also got a free packet of turnip seeds :sick
I splurged on a packet of popping sorghum. If I can actually grow it I can give it to DS whose favorite food is popcorn, but is allergic to corn.
If you grow turnips in the coolest time of the season, you will find that they are very sweet and tender.
Make sure to pick them slightly early too.
I used to hate them, until I learned how to grow them right.