What are you planning to plant?

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My yard sucks and this year I'm not even going to try to grow a vegetable garden. :hit

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is me this year! I don't know what to do with the goats and the only plantable area is the greenhouse that they are in. All the rest is poor soil and hillside covered with pines. However I don't let that stop me. I will plant to my heart content and fight hard for at best a mediocre crop. And I will be proud of that mediocre crop because it is more than I got last year. That is unless the goats get loose and eat it. In that case I will be proud of a well fed goat steak!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
That is me this year! I don't know what to do with the goats and the only plantable area is the greenhouse that they are in. All the rest is poor soil and hillside covered with pines. However I don't let that stop me. I will plant to my heart content and fight hard for at best a mediocre crop. And I will be proud of that mediocre crop because it is more than I got last year. That is unless the goats get loose and eat it. In that case I will be proud of a well fed goat steak!
Lasagne beds can be your best friend!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I agree. Or straw bale beds. Heck, I grew sweet potatoes in a feed bag filled with dirt. Who needs good land? :gig

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I agree. Or straw bale beds. Heck, I grew sweet potatoes in a feed bag filled with dirt. Who needs good land? :gig
Yeppers!
We bought a 1 acre lot with a house built on a gravel pad.
We trucked in 10 yards of soil that we have been amending in raised beds since.
Potatoes LOVE either straw, hay or leaf mulch beds.
And we LOVE picking them too ;)
And old tires are fabulous as well.
Put hot manure in the bottom, then a good layer of leaves, then dirt.
Pack the inside of the tire with leaves as well.
Our squash were the envy of the neighborhood last year.

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Let's see here....

Cutting back a bit this year, some yields weren't as good as I wanted, and I'd like to concentrate more on a few types and not so much variety. I'm ordering from E&R Seeds because they take care of my skill in killing seedlings, and I can order some of my stuff as started plants from them - for really cheap.

Beets - Detroit Dark Red
Cabbage - Late Flat Dutch (Plants)
Popcorn Corn - Cream Puff
Picking Cucumbers - Homemade Pickles (Plants)
Garlic
Dill
Peas - Mr. Big Pea
Butternut Squash - Atlas
Winter Squash Mix
Tomatoes - Amish Paste (Plants)
Sunflowers - Black Russian (for the chickens :) )
I have an asparagus bed that's a few years old, and a strawberry bed, along with a small raspberry patch.

Garden is only 30'x40', perfect for me. I have a small herb garden by the porch too, with chives, oregano, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. I attack it regularly in the summer for cooking, and dry a lot of it.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am planting some things that have been mentioned.Some that I did not notice are:

Blue indian corn(grows tall and I like tall)
ground cherries(a sweet fruit)
tomatillo
culver root(herb)
cherry tomato
daikon radish

strawberries
currants
lettuce mixes
amaranth
sorgum(sp)
bird house gourd
jelly melon
hungarian broom corn
asian melon
asian greens
chicory for coffee sub
more grapes

I get a lot of seeds from Bountiful gardens in CA.

I just got the following book that might be of use for some.Good idea to get started with bags of soil.You plant right into the bag.Also talks about front yard gardens,and keeping chickens,rabbits for meat.

john seymour
the new self-sufficient gardener

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I had good luck with ground cherries last year. Mmmm

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It was my second year for the ground cherries,and I had really started to like them.Unfortunately my crop was low, AND I gave a lot to my eldery neighbors along with currants and raspberries. I gotta share even if it means I get none!

This year I am going to work hard at getting a better crop.Atleast the bugs left it alone!