Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Henrietta23 said:
Here's my list so far:
basil
radish
mesclun
cukes (salad, pickling and Mexican sour gherkins for the fun of it)
9 types of tomatoes
sugar snap peas
boston lettuce
bell peppers
jalapenos
habaneros
poblanos
arugula
kale
swiss chard
broccoli raab
zucchini
carrots
onions
green beans
oriental cabbage

I also got a free packet of turnip seeds :sick
I splurged on a packet of popping sorghum. If I can actually grow it I can give it to DS whose favorite food is popcorn, but is allergic to corn.
If you grow turnips in the coolest time of the season, you will find that they are very sweet and tender.
Make sure to pick them slightly early too.
I used to hate them, until I learned how to grow them right.
I think I will give them to my father to grow. I did have some in a soup that someone else made last year. If he hadn't told me they were in there I wouldn't have known. I bought some at WF and tried it and they were okay.... the smell of them raw almost did me in though.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Henrietta23 said:
Here's my list so far:
basil
radish
mesclun
cukes (salad, pickling and Mexican sour gherkins for the fun of it)
9 types of tomatoes
sugar snap peas
boston lettuce
bell peppers
jalapenos
habaneros
poblanos
arugula
kale
swiss chard
broccoli raab
zucchini
carrots
onions
green beans
oriental cabbage

I also got a free packet of turnip seeds :sick
I splurged on a packet of popping sorghum. If I can actually grow it I can give it to DS whose favorite food is popcorn, but is allergic to corn.
If you grow turnips in the coolest time of the season, you will find that they are very sweet and tender.
Make sure to pick them slightly early too.
I used to hate them, until I learned how to grow them right.
I think I will give them to my father to grow. I did have some in a soup that someone else made last year. If he hadn't told me they were in there I wouldn't have known. I bought some at WF and tried it and they were okay.... the smell of them raw almost did me in though.
:lol: I agree they smell odd!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What is the date to maturity on those melons?
I can't find my catalog, but the Rich Sweetness and Golden Sweet were both listed as early. The Golden Sweets are VERY early.

As for the Collective Farm Woman melon, mine ripened about 2 weeks before the Charentais melon which is rated at 85 days.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
what do turnips taste like? do they taste like carrots at all? i don't like most veggies but i'm learning to hide them in food so i don't taste them but so i still get the vitamins
:pop where did you find pop sorghum? my dad saw that and started yelling about he'd never heard of it. :old :idunno

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I've seen pooping sorgum in the Shumway seed catalog before. If I have room I am going to start some spinich and kale and peas early if I can get the dang goats out of the greenhouse!!!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
What is the date to maturity on those melons?
I can't find my catalog, but the Rich Sweetness and Golden Sweet were both listed as early. The Golden Sweets are VERY early.

As for the Collective Farm Woman melon, mine ripened about 2 weeks before the Charentais melon which is rated at 85 days.
Hmmm, I bet I could give one of those a try here...

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
The sorghum came from Baker Creek. http://rareseeds.com/tarahumara-popping-sorghum.html
Turnips. Hmmm, I can't describe the taste. In the soup they tasted of the broth, which was homemade and delicious. They absorbed the flavor the way a potato would but with a different texture. They definitely don't taste like carrots. I haven't eaten them mashed since I was a kid. Actually I didn't eat them mashed then. I'd stubbornly sit at the table until they were cold and my mom gave up and let me leave. Oh, the battles we had over those darn turnips!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
The sorghum came from Baker Creek. http://rareseeds.com/tarahumara-popping-sorghum.html
Turnips. Hmmm, I can't describe the taste. In the soup they tasted of the broth, which was homemade and delicious. They absorbed the flavor the way a potato would but with a different texture. They definitely don't taste like carrots. I haven't eaten them mashed since I was a kid. Actually I didn't eat them mashed then. I'd stubbornly sit at the table until they were cold and my mom gave up and let me leave. Oh, the battles we had over those darn turnips!!
They have the texture of a carrot, but not the taste.
If they are grown in a hot climate, they will NOT taste good.
They are a staple ingredient in Pasties.

I also cook them in bone broth with carrots and Thyme :drool
Add in some lightly cooked tenderloin, and its even better!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think they are kinda nutty, spicy, and sweet all at the same time. I love 'em cooked with greens and bacon with cornbread.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I think they are kinda nutty, spicy, and sweet all at the same time. I love 'em cooked with greens and bacon with cornbread.
There's a kind of sharpness to the smell of them. Not like anything else. Seriously, my eyes are watering just thinking about it!