What are you planting in your garden this year?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
This is the first year that I have gotten to order seeds, and begin to plan my garden out in a long time. So, I am getting excited. The weather has been limiting already with all the rain since September. I need my ground turned, and manure spread. However, we haven't had any dry weather since last June. That is not even an exaggeration.

So far, I am planting (if I can space it and plan it right):

Beans
Crawford (Pole Snap)
Jacob's Cattle Bean (Bush Dry)
Kentucky Blue Bloom (Bush Snap)
Provider (Bush Snap)
Greasy Grit (Pole Snap)
Cornfield (Pole Snap)

Squash
Jarrahdale Pumpkin (C. Maxima)
Butternut (C. Moschata)
San Filipe (C. Pepo)
Yellow Crookneck (C. Pepo)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Here is the rest of my garden...

Tomatoes

Bill Bean- slicing
Black Beauty- slicing
Blue Beauty- slicing
Clackamas Blueberry- cherry
Enormous Plum- paste
Ruth Collier Lg. Paste
Dester- slicing
Pink Ponderosa- slicing
German Pink- slicing
Classic Beefsteak- slicing
Amish Paste
Cherokee Purple- slicing
Black Brandywine- slicing
Dr. Lyle- slicing
Rutgers- canning
Roma- paste
Kellog's Breakfast- slicing

Vining Crops
Carolina Cross- watermelon
Wilson's Sweet- watermelon
Hearts of Gold- cantaloupe
Straight Eight- cucumber
Boston Pickling- cucumber

Root Crops
Beauregard- sweet potato
Red Pontiac- potato
Kennebec- potato
Yukon Gold- potato
Danvers Half Long- carrot
**Definitely will plant green onions, and onions to store over the winter. That'll be whatever the hardware store carries.

Everything Else
Early Jersey Wakefield- cabbage
Calabrese Sprouting- broccoli
Clemson Spineless- okra
Bloomsdale Long Standing- spinach
Sugar Snap- peas
**Mixed salad greens in one bed as well.

Flowers
Taiyo Sunflower
Cosmos
Marigolds
Zinnias

This looks more like what I originally typed. My students are building me some more raised beds next week. I have also been stocking up on straw and mulch material each pay period. It's been so wet I haven't been able to get the garden burned off or turned well. So, I still need manure. It has literally rained since July 2018. No joke.

Praying that the weather will calm down and we can get some gardening done this year.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bee, please let us know how you do this and how it goes, when the time comes? I've never heard of this either and I'm so curious now!
Sumi, it's the easiest thing....corn, water and salt. I forget the ratio of salt to water but it's just your typical brine solution to support fermentation of a vegetable. Then you put it somewhere the temps aren't too hot nor too cold...usually done in a cellar or basement, a cool pantry if lacking those, and let the fermentation begin.

Usually takes about 2 wks for fermentation to set in well~depending on ambient temps and yeast capture in the environment~ but longer to get truly good pickled corn...one looks for the scoby to form on the top. Sometimes a yeast/mold will form on top of that film of scoby...you just brush it aside~or remove it~ when removing your corn for eating, rinse off the ear, eat it right out of the crock or use it in any recipe you'd like. We like it fresh out of the crock, no cooking of any kind.

No blanching of the corn prior to pickling or you'll have mushy corn and it's just not needed.

A lot of times the crock is lined with a pillow case or small sheet or cheesecloth so that you can fold that over the contents and place a wt. on it to keep the corn below the liquid. Typical wt. are a plate with a rock on it, canning jars filled with water, etc.

mrghostwalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Now that the kids are out of the house I try to keep it simple. I also try to plant heirloom whenever possible. We mostly plant Rutgers Tomatoes, Vietnamese Red Garlic, Kentucky Wonder or Blue Lake Pole Beans, Red Potatoes and Waltham Butternut Squash. We also have permanent beds of Asparagus, Horseradish and Rhubarb and several herbs. Sometimes we add cucumbers or radishes. In the future when I have more room I will add more.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got attacked by the gardening bug while I was shopping!:D:lol::ep
I bought a packet of Walla-Walla onion seed, a package of Salad Mix - Italian, spinach and 3 kinds of sweet corn. ha-ha. I managed to make myself put back about 10 packets of seed - but I could not let go of those. I wanted some carrot seed so I could make some seed tapes for carrots, but they didn't have anything but multi colored carrots...
The onions will be started this week as well as the salad greens mix. The onions will go out into the garden but the salad mix will be in my kitchen for immediate use to jazz up my boring romaine lettuce salads.

(And yes I know, if it ain't grown in Walla-Walla it ain't a walla-walla, but that is what the package says)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Shade_Tolerant_Plants.webp

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will have a new 20x60 garden spot this year. The silkie pens are being moved.

I'm still deciding on what typed of squash. Definitely Black Beauty zucchini as I like it, probably because it's what we always had growing up.

I need to pick a pumpkin or two, as well as a fast growing corn.

Large fowl are also getting moved into a new pen. That pen will become a dog run. I'll block a portion of it and plant peas where the deer won't eat them.

I have lots of planning to do.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm like so many, tooo many, others -- just hoping we get enough dry to be able to plant and not have them drown - Like last yr ! :(

Loaded with seeds -- you name it and I probably have it :lol: Lots of seed for growing animal feeds. Just need it to dry enough to be able to rough up some areas of pastures to plant! Plus, lots of pumpkins, turnips, etc. for feed, this doesn't include a closer to house "kitchen garden". I'm bummed that the weather just isn't co-operating. Yeah, loaded with kitchen garden seeds, too.

And I have most all of my canning stuff READY to do this. I want to eat all year from these seeds! :old

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Horseradish is on my bucket list. Please tell me how you use it. I also love Rutgers. I do Blue Lake Bush for edible green manure and around my corn. But, by far, my favorite bean is Fortex pole. And have recently discovered Butternut. I never liked the flavor of it until I tried growing it myself. Now, quite fond of it. Suyo Long cucumber is a great heirloom to grow.