What are you planting in your garden this year?

mrghostwalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Horseradish is on my bucket list. Please tell me how you use it. I also love Rutgers. I do Blue Lake Bush for edible green manure and around my corn. But, by far, my favorite bean is Fortex pole. And have recently discovered Butternut. I never liked the flavor of it until I tried growing it myself. Now, quite fond of it. Suyo Long cucumber is a great heirloom to grow.

Horseradish is easy but pungent! Dig it up in the fall and re-lay the bed with some of the strong, young roots. Take a few of the larger ones for eating. Wash well and peel. (It is advisable to peel them outside in the breeze so that the wind carries away the fumes otherwise it's like getting pepper spray in the eyes!. Also wear rubber gloves.) Then run the peeled roots through a food processor with a little cider vinegar and scant salt (to taste). Place in small jars with tight lids and refrigerate. Be warned- this it HOT stuff!!!. I like it on beef or mixed with ketchup as a sauce for shrimp and fried fish.
Rutgers is by far my favorite tomatoes. I like how they ripen fully when picked green in the fall. Our favorite way of making Butternut is to peel and dice it. Then roast it like quartered potatoes with olive oil and whatever seasoning we want. (We like to make sweet potatoes the same way)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grandma always had pickled corn and pickled beans -- believe the beans were in jars (?). In those years they couldn't always plant more than one kind of corn -- no seed variety available, no space, needed to feed animals, too. As a preservation method, many veggies were pickled. :)
Similar to making sauerkraut...another preserve it idea. Of course, these things give us great gut flora, too.

Grandma would often pull the ears from the crock, lightly rinse and then cut from cob for a dishful to serve at a meal.

I have some golden bantam seed. The corn was good, not super sweet but enough. Like beekissed says, very corn flavored. It's also a smaller stalk height and ear size. I like that part, as well as the taste.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What kind of eggplant do you grow? I'm trying them for a second year. No production last year. Not even sure if I like to eat them. But, I would like to like eating them, if that makes any sense!!!
About 4 years ago at a farmers/craft/all sorts market we bought some pizza from a stand and they put eggplant on it. Needless to say were not so sure about that topping, but decided to give it a shot... I went back and begged them to tell me what they did to it, as that was the nicest pizza I ever had! They told me they cut the eggplant into smallish pieces, brush it with olive oil, roast it in the oven and then try not to eat it all before it makes it to the pizzas lol That may be a way for you to learn to like them.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grow several plants of the big black eggplant..usually Ebony "XXX" depending on where you get them, plus a couple of the small, long and sometimes a few purple white Italian ones. I absolutely love eggplant parm! Actually, I rarely soak mine, or peel. Never felt the skin bitter or tough. I also cube & cook in olive oil with oregano & garlic. YUM!

I slice, saute and freeze. Then use for eggplant parm, or cubed in spaghetti sauce over pasta

Yep, pizza with them as FEM describes is good, quick and excellent for you. They make a great salad if lightly sauted in olive oil, cooled and added to tomato, onion and Italian spices. Also, slice, oil and grill.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh I've cooked with them lots before, it's just been a while (eggplant parm usually) and this thread reminded me it's been too long!