What are you planting this year?

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, do the corn first and winter squash first. They'll sprout then wait another 2 weeks before plantiing the beans. If you do the beans too early, it'll choke the corn. Give the corn a chance to grow and it'll be a good trellis for the beans.

In every 1 square foot, 1 corn plant, 2 bean plants (1 on each side). 1 winter squash every 2 square feet.

I've found this set up works well for me.

Remember to plant in blocks, like 4'x4', because if you do it in rows, you won't get good enough pollination for the corn.

Might want to consider a pole bean that can be eaten as a fresh string bean but also, when left to dry on the "trellis", can be shucked and saved to use as a dried bean. I'm doing a white bean because I love the creaminess they lend to soups and my son's favorite pork-n-beans, but also bush black beans in my raised garden for chili.

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Going to be planting lots of stuff this summer

at least 100 lbs of potatoes
cucumbers
zucchini
beans - green, red, and butterbeans
okra
onions
cabbage
radishes
lettuce
peppers - bell, jalapeno, and banana
pumpkins
watermelon
corn
dill and other herbs
spinach

and a few tomatoes - we will buy most of our tomatoes though because it is cheaper to buy then to raise. (we buy them from the Amish, locally grown)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Garlic's already in, from last fall. We'll be planting more artichoke and asparagus plants. And then the usual peas, onions, leeks, carrots, parsnips, lettuce, radishes, spinach, chard, beets... also various squash. And corn. Potatoes. And tomatoes and cantaloupe in the greenhouse. Oh, yeah, can't forget cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, bell peppers, and hot peppers. And lots of basil to make pesto.

Happy dreaming (and happy planting in the spring).

bittibuddha

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've been gardening in a community plot for about five years and have learned a lot along the way. Two years ago was the Year of Three Sisters and other famous Companion Plant pairings; Last year was "see what survives when I'm on vacation all summer and can't weed or water". This year is all about vertical gardening and Legumes of all sorts.

In the early part of the season:
sugar snap peas
lettuce mix
onions
swiss chard
carrots
potatoes (Pontiac Red does best for my Northern Virginia garden)
turnips

Mid-season
PEANUTS!
Edamame
Red beans
lima beans
tomatoes
jalepenos
basil, cilantro, dill

Late season:
kale
collard greens
more carrots
more turnips
more salad greens
more sugar snap peas

I've given up on trying to grow corn, broccoli, cucumber, squash or eggplants (they just don't grow well in my garden); and I've decided I just don't like radishes or cabbages - so why bother growing them?

REALLY excited about trying peanuts.

btw: I pulled fourteen pounds of veggies out of my garden last weekend. Not bad for February! all the carrots and potatoes and turnips I'll need for at least a month!

cheers!
Karen

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow

I'm so jealous.

But I have HUGE plans for our garden this year, plus a 1/2 acre field for grains & alfalfa & 3 sisters, plus lots of nut trees, and fruit bushes and trees. But I'm so late ... haven't planted teh garlic yet, and meant to place my seed order last week but I didn't get it finished.

ARGH! :barnie

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We're going very basic and small this year:

tomatoes(regular and grape)
a few cukes
yellow str. neck squash
sweet onions(probably Candies)
red taters
peas(sugar snap and other)
nasturtiums, wild flowers, sunflowers
peppers(bell, jalapeno, hot banana)
cilantro
broccoli
Rouge Vif d' Etampes pumpkin
garlic

I'm trying to convince the Bat to let me use some space for romaine lettuce and spinach but she is dubious and reluctant to yield space for something she's had no luck with in the past in her soils.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are going big this year. No more messing around and experimenting! :lol:

Tomatoes - 70 plants combo of Amish Paste, Mortgage lifter & Heinz, plus one each of large cherry (to dry) and grape (for eating). We eat A LOT of tomatoes/sauce!
Beans - green, pinto, navy and great northern
Peppers - green, jalapenos Thai and habaneros
Potatoes - some red Pontiacs, and LOTS of Yukon gold
Lettuce - leaf and head
Cabbage - just a few, so I can make myself some kraut this year
Radishes - just a few, I'm the only one who eats them, but I eat them like other people eat candy :D
Peanuts
Onions
Garlic - this coming fall - I am way too late this year, but really want to get some in
Broccoli & cauliflower - just a few of each, since I am the only one who eats these too
Pumpkin - sugar pumpkin
Watermelon- sugar babies, as it will go to waste otherwise
Cucumber - minimal amount (just me)
Beets - Detroit red. Just me eating these too, but I love them, so I'm planting lots!
Okra
Strawberries - have a 4 x 8 raised bed of matted plants
Asparagus - small planting just for me :D

Grains:
(planting small plots of each)
Corn
Oats
Wheat

Herbs:
Oregano
Basil
Dill
Lemon grass
Thyme
Sage
Cumin

Bushes:
Blueberries - 4 bushes
Blackberries - 5 bushes
Mulberry - one if I can find it

Orchard:
Full size trees
Apples - Transplanting heeled in Mutsu, Pixie Crunch, Gala and Granny Smith
Peach - transplant/heeled in
Nectarines - 2 transplants/heeled in
Pears - Bartlett and Kieffer, transplant/heeled in
Plums - want two, having trouble finding decent trees lately
Also may be able to get several dwarfs for nothing: 2 pear, 3 apple, 2 nectarine, 2 plum, as well as 2 bush cherries (I'm not sure I really want those - heard they taste yucky)

Grapes - I have one green, plan to get one seedless concord
Nuts:
Almond
Walnut
Pecan
Looking into putting in a hazelnut as well

A lot of these permanent plantings have made the move with us, and several of the vegetable plantings are from seeds I saved last year :)fl hope they germinate), so I will have to buy only one or two things for this year, which is the most exciting part for me!
We are using a split plan this year - raised beds, rows, and plot planting. Also companion planting. I have almost a gallon of dried peas, 1 gallon of dried sweet corn, and a quart of dried carrots (another just me thing), so we won't plant those items again until next year.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
It would be easier to list what we're not planting :) Good luck, everyone!

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So far I've started seeds for onion, radishes, 4 kinds of tomatoes, bell pepper, jalapeno and two other hot peppers, and corn (about a week early on the corn, but I think we'll be OK). Soon I will be adding a kitchen window herb garden starting with dill and chive. Haven't decided what else to put in there yet except rosemary for sure. As soon as I can get the ground ready I'll be putting in beans, carrots, lettuce, and spinach. Next month I can start seeds or direct sow okra, cucumber, cantaloup, peas, and squash. My yard space is pretty limited, but I have an expansion plan that should allow all of this to fit in. :fl I have a lot of work ahead of me, but it will be worth it. Hopefully I'll get some use out of that new canner.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, finally got around to ordering my seeds (soooo late), and here's what I'm getting:

Veggies, Grains and Gourds:
Orange Giant Amaranth
Henderson's Black Valentine Pole Bean
McCaslan 42 Pole Bean (has a white creamy bean)
Envy Soya Beans (for critters)
Purple of Sicily Cauliflower
Early Jersey Wakefield Cabbage
Danvers 126 Half Long Carrot
Tendercrisp Celery
Rainbow Sweet Inca Corn (multipurpose)
De Bourbonne Cucumber (for pickling)
Dishcloth or Luffa Gourd (hope to sell as well as use)
Chuffa (also known as ground nuts; good source of protein)
Oats, Hulless (if we can successfully grow these, we'll be in heaven!!)
Iceberg Lettuce
Red of Florence Onion
Yellow of Parma Onion
He Shi Ko Bunching Onion
Desiree Dwarf Blauwschokkers Garden Pea (multi-purpose)
Cayenne Long Thin Hot Pepper
Sweet Yellow Stuffing Pepper
Pink Beauty Radish (sweet unless leave too long then it tastes like horseradish)
Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach
Tondo Scuro Di Piacenza Squash (new to us: thought we'd try this instead of long zuke or yellow squash)
Butternut Waltham Squash
Kellogg's Breakfast (my favorite beefsteak -- so meaty and sweet)
Orange Icicle Tomato (new to us)
Jujube Cherry Tomato (new to us)
Striped Roman Tomato (new to us)

Herbs:
Basil - Lime
Blessed or Holy Thistle
Borage
Chia - Crown Jewels
Chives Common
Cumin
Dill Bouquet
Echinacea Purpurea
Mugwort
Purslane - Green
Sage - Broad Leaf
Stevia
Toothache Plant
Yarrow
Bee Balm Lemon
Fenugreek
Feverfew
German Chamomile
(Evening) Primrose - Wildflower
Anise Hyssop
Hyssop, Blue
Lion's Tail or Wild Dagga
Lovage
Rue, Herb O'Grace
Summer Savory
Tarragon, Russian
White Horehound

Flowers:
Kabloona - Calendula
Brocade Mix Marigold
Alaska Mix - Nasturtium
Giant White-Seeded Sunflower

That was my huge order from Baker Heirloom Seeds (rareseeds.com). Couldn't find seeds for alfalfa so am ordering sprouting alfalfa seeds on Amazon.com, along with soapwort, lemongrass, and valerian. Have half a bag left of black oil sunflower seeds, some milo and some millet, so I'll be using those to plant too.

Already have: dipper and bushel gourds, a small packet of cotton (so excited about this one), broccoli, fennel, two kinds of lettuce, chinese giant sweet pepper, spaghetti squash, triple treat pumpkin, my FIL's seeds that we think as a cushaw, neon lights swiss chard, yellow pear tomato, roma tomato, an heirloom mix tomato packet, white scallions, pansy, jalapeno, anise, thyme, spearmint, oregano, rosemary, genovese basil, and lemon balm.

Will pick up a packet of watermelon seeds from somewhere this weekend. Plus review my "apothecary garden" to see what I've forgotten to order.

Still have to work on my order for nut trees, fruit bushes and trees, and a few other trees (like weeping willow so one day i can try making baskets!).

I hope my seed order is filled soon because I really need to get some of these started, like tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and cabbage.

Whew!

Latest posts