What are you trying that is new to you this year in the garden?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I guess the rest of the rat is underground. :lol:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL! Sorry, I thought I had explained what they were before-- Rat's Tail Radishes are a form of radish that doesn't form a bulbous root, instead it blooms and forms seed pods which I guess resemble rat tails- They are used in Asian stir fries, and were popular in America in the 1800's. I wanted to try them because I love the flavor of radishes and this way I can enjoy them all summer long.

BillSchi

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am trying Kohlrabi, squash, cukes, Zucchini a variety of peppers, eggplant. This year is the first time I tried raised beds.
I am new to the thought of self sufficiency. Although I participated in gardening and butchering when I was young.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When you say "raised beds" are you talking about framed grow beds? I've learned that some people mean just a heap of soil that is taller than the pathways, others mean an actual frame of wood or other material that holds the soil within. I prefer the second type myself- less trouble with erosion. I also like to attach a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth to the bottom of the frame before I fill it; I don't ever want to watch my carrots and lettuce disappear into the ground because a gopher is underneath again!

I've been curious about kohlrabi, but haven't grown any because I'm not sure how to use it.

BillSchi

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Britesea,
I built 7 boxes 39"x75" that are 10-12" tall. I made them the size of twin beds so I can cover them if hail is in the forecast or the frost hits us early.
I have a cat the patrols our yard constantly. She reminds us how well she is doing by leaving her victims at our doorstep.
kohlrabi is good, has a unique flavor all it's own. If you plant one, you woeld wish you had planted more at harvest time.
I will try and remember to post a picture tomorrow.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We used three 8' 2x12s to make each of our raised beds. One on each side and cut one in half to do each end. Then we just screwed them together. It's been over a year now since we did the first ones and they are holding up just fine. Other than color weathering, no changes to them at all.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I moved from California, the raised beds I had there were 10 years old. The only maintenance I had to do was at about 8 years, the hardware cloth finally rusted enough that the gophers started getting into the beds again, so we dug each bed out and added new screens and refilled them.
They were made of redwood, the ones I have now are cedar because we can't get redwood anymore.

BillSchi, we had cats also, and they did patrol fairly well... but our gophers figured out that they could come up into the beds from below, and pull the plants down without ever exposing themselves to the cats-- that's why we started using the screens.
How do you cook your kohlrabi? boiled, steamed, sauteed?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just thought I would follow up here on some of my plantings for this year...
The Rat Tail radishes were a resounding success. They have a nice crunch, a zing of flavor just like regular radishes and are wonderful on the crudites tray. I also like them sprinkled on cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, and soups as a garnish. They were somewhat disappointing in a stir fry as they lost most of the hot flavor when cooked. Out of six plants, we had more than we could eat all summer long, and they are still going strong. I need to get out there and cull the pods that got too big (they get tough and stringy when more than a pencil's width) because they are still producing in this cooler fall weather.
The Hungarian Black Chili Peppers were also a success- the peppers were about the same size and shape as a Jalapeno, with pretty much the same authority, which surprised me- I thought they would be milder. Out of 15 plants, I filled up a 3 gallon plastic tub with chilies.
The Cylindra Beets were also a success; the flavor is wonderful and they were a good size. Although I didn't plant enough to can, the shape lends itself very well to slicing which would be good for canning.
The mache came up and gave us lovely salads- I was surprised that it didn't bolt like the lettuce did when it got warm. The claytonia (miner's lettuce) sadly never sprouted. Gotta hit the books to see what it needed that it didn't get.
My tomatoes - Black From Tula - caught a bad dose of herbicide that pretty well destroyed the whole crop :hit
The Chocolate Bell peppers... hmm... not sure what happened. They never turned brown, just red, and they are about the size of cherry tomatoes. I'm going to harvest them and use them anyway, but what a disappointment.
The Tromboncino squash took over that section of garden- next year I know to absolutely put up a trellis for them- I have about 9 very large squashes- one is at least 25#s- and several more that aren't quite fully ripe. I'm not sure whether to leave them out in the garden even though it's getting into the 30's at night or not.
And finally- note to self: DO NOT plant 3 cucumber plants when there are only 3 people in the family- the Lemon Cucumbers were worse than zucchini! None of my neighbors will talk to me anymore, lol.

Latest posts