What are you trying that is new to you this year in the garden?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fishbone meal and Azomite for the greenhouse beds. Trying a new variety of sweet bell pepper. Last fall I planted our garlic in a different garden 150 feet from the one where we'd developed a fungal problem in the garlic - so the garlic shoots will be coming up as soon as the snow melts off.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm growing garlic...under a row of 20 foot tall pine trees. I raised the crown on them about 5 years ago, and I've been fighting weeds. SO...I'm growing ANYTHING that wants to reseed or bulbs that want to multiply. I ran out of time last year, but this Spring I'll be removing a 2 x 5 ft section of Lily of the Valley that has outgrown it's bed on the north side of the house and relocating plants under these trees, too bc there is a LOT of shade.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We got the wood this last weekend to put in two more 4x8 raised beds. We'll get them screwed together and go get some good soil this coming Saturday if it isn't pouring. I need to get more stuff planted.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Right now, I'd be happy if it would stop snowing and warm up so I can work in my garden!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm trying Rat Tail radishes this year. They don't produce a large root like the regular radishes; instead you harvest the seed pods, which have the same peppery taste and are good in stir frys etc. I figure this way I can have radish taste all summer long since you actually WANT this type to bolt, lol.

All of my Kazakh melons bit the dust before I ever got them transplanted, *sigh* maybe next year.
I bought one okra seedling from the nursery today... I've never grown okra before.

Trying mache and claytonia for the first time also. I'm trying new varieties of a bunch of the usual suspects: Cylindra Beets, Russian Kale, a new open pollinated early Cabbage called Red Express, Golden Ball Turnips, Sweet Chocolate bell peppers, Black Hungarian chilies, Black From Tula Tomato, and a filet type green bean called Calima.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Besides the fishbone meal and Azomite in the greenhouse (working out excellently, BTW), and the new variety of bell pepper, and our garlic in a different garden...

I've got two new potato varieties I'm trying: Orchestra and Mozart, both recommended to me by professional market gardeners in my area. Supposed to produce big, delicious spuds. (Still growing three of my standby spud varieties, too.) Also, trying a new vine tomato variety in the greenhouse. I'm on the edge of my seat with these new varieties. :pop

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'll be planting some spaghetti squash this year.

Latest posts