What are your kids doing today?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So I had been trying to teach letters one at a time in my overprepared, ex-schoolteacher ways... My daughter does NOT have patience for doing things because someone says so. So.... The letters she already knows by heart we now just make the letter to put on the wall (we are making the alphabet one letter at a time as we study them) and move on, lol. No point in doing work that you've already mastered... I am learning to teach where she is at rather than teach a curriculum. Homeschooling flexibility is AWESOME! But also difficult for an OCD person like me, lol. This gives us time to do more interesting things and/or accelerate in other areas.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I like your idea! I struggle with finding ideas for "arts & crafts". Decorating big letter cut-outs would be fun! Thank you!

DS10 has been helping me clean out the basement by hauling stuff to the dumpster. I took apart a weight machine and he hauled most of the pieces out! Not sure if today will end up being a school day or not.

DS2 was walking around this morning saying "butt. hole." Over and over, so I told him to sit on the potty. He pooped next to it. He peed in the potty twice, and once on the floor. Progress!!! :weee

DS2 found a puzzle game in the basement ad the rest of his foam letters. The novelty of those has made him easy to entertain today. He took a big long nap also. :celebrate

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I had a sleepover with the grandgirls last night. Worked on staining their gates with Aliza, the 3 yr old, a bit....that didn't last long before we had to curtail her attempts to "finger paint" the stain onto the gate. :rolleyes:

101_0580.JPG

101_0578.JPG

101_0579.JPG

She and I worked in her little BTE garden, cutting out weeds, planting a wheelbarrow of flowers, etc. She LOVES to shovel dirt...loves to toss it up in the air and all in her hair too. :D

She and I also went through my old first aid kit, which has now become hers, to show her how to use the different elements therein on her "patients". She's going through a real Doc McStuffins phase right now, hard core. :rolleyes:

I went to Good Will and bought a small men's white cotton dress shirt to turn into Doc's lab coat this weekend. ;) I've slowly been collecting medical paraphernalia for her doctor's bag and she's gotten hours and hours of solid imaginative play out of it all.

Had a cook out, played in the pool and generally had a wonderful, loving, laughing time with family, but especially with my little girls. :love

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We went to a graduation party. DS10 found a boy similar in age to play with. They were wading (chest deep) in a yucky muddy lake toward the end. DS10 rode home without pants on. :gig He followed social rules, played appropriately for 10 year old boys running amok. Much improvement in his social skills (since I took him out of public school, ahem)!

DS2 indulged his sweet tooth and played on the playground slide. When we got home, we all went to the garden where DS2 made a huge mess of himself - and parts of the garden. :gig There was loose dirt in his diaper! Not a clean inch on that boy! :gig

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hmm you mean sitting next to other kids being told to be quiet and then being mostly unsupervised at recess doesn't constitute proper social skills development? No way! (sorry... But people who keep telling me my kid is going to be an awkward weirdo because I homeschool.... Grr)

Glad they had fun! Who needs clean, right?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Transplanted some melons (doubtful they'll do anything in this clinate but we'll see), watched the baby chicks run around with their mama... Visited grandma... And normal chores, etc. Oh, and had me read about a million books. She's been up since 5:45, I'm exhausted!