What are your kids doing today?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Summing up the last few days:

Fort Robinson State Park (we didn't see it all, but stopped at the natural history museum)
Ashfall Fossil Beds (fabulous!! Great fossil dig activities for kids!)
Toadstool Geologic Park (treacherous for tires and ankles)
Smith Falls State Park (loved it!)
Niobrara State Park (cowboy cookout! Fun!)
Harrison NE (population 251) fire department fundraiser pancake breakfast (surprise! Fun!)
Side of a road in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska to see the solar eclipse in totality and we found burrow cast fossils too. DS10 loved that! Reminded us of Montana two years ago when we found a fossilized vertebrae!

Nebraska' State Parks are beautiful and well-maintained! The tiny towns we passed by had very nice city parks. Beautiful place, definitely worth taking a road trip through Nebraska!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Helped me move scrap lumber today with her little John Deere riding toy and wagon while her little sister rode on the big mower with Granny and her cart. Then played outside in various ways but not much working getting done for some reason or another.

The eldest got to try out the newly revamped outhouse and seemed to love it! Now, that's saying something, as most little girls HATE to use the outhouse...I couldn't get her out of there! She sat and read her favorite book several times and I finally had to roust her out of there so I could take her sister in for a nap.

I must admit, it was breezy and cool in there, a nice private place to read and download. :D

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds fun!

We are going to a science center/wildlife rehabilitation facility today. All their animals are unable to be released into the wild for various reasons. And all are native to NH. Except, they say, the mountain lions. Which is debatable.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our youngest was helping to build the new rooster house. IMG_20170823_133427.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Decided to get back into the school routine... Since public school starts tomorrow in my district! Finishing my pre-K stuff (mostly letters and numbers) and then starting kindergarten work. DD is age-wise still a preschooler due to when her birthday is (she misses the cutoff by less than a month) so not rushing anything but I will run out of "preschool" academic stuff to do shortly.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
DS went back to school today after the summer break. He is in a new school now and very exited about it and the new friends, teachers, etc :)

His PlayStation packed in yesterday (well timed for the last day of the holiday), but I'm hoping he'll soon have friends to hopefully encourage him to get away from the games a bit more, though that is all they seem to be interested in any more. It's a bit scary how kids from the age of 10 have their own YouTube channels nowadays?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DD and I picked some beans and fed them to the goats because I'm all done with blanching beans! Then we used the paths the bear has made in the woods to pick some blackberries (kind of a weird feeling because the woods is pretty thick and I was just hoping the bear wasn't still around!)

Worked on some letter and number stuff. Trying to finish up our letter work, she knows pretty much all of them so I've dramatically shortened the work so we can say we did each letter. And then I dug out this kid's sticker atlas I had stashed away because she asked where zebras live...

Now she's playing and I'm planning and sorting through my kindergarten work piles.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DS2 is re-re-re-re-rewatching a DVD about airplanes. He brought me the case, pointed at the front and said "watch Blue Angels". I was confused until I saw he was pointing at a picture of the Blue Angels. :eek: I guess he's learning from the DVD? Keep watching Little Buddy. <3