What breed are you?

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey BB love your new avatar. Did you get a Jersey yet?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
bambi said:
Hey BB love your new avatar. Did you get a Jersey yet?
Thanks. We havent got one yet, we get her this spring. :)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Hmm what does Buffy mean by this terminology? :D
Hobby homesteader?
Prepper?
Survival homesteader?
Self reliant or self sufficent?

Im considering myself a survival homesteader, of course this is not currently our only way of survival. We have a year round pantry, meat animals, large gardens and orchards, plus the year round animals like my breeding rabbits, laying chickens, guard dog, and soon to be milk cow.
Tend to be self-reliant. In other words, not just doing this in spurts or in summer months or as hobbyists. My wife and I have built a life on the land. We grow food, heat with wood, have a gravity-feed water supply from a spring, do most of our own carpentry, masonry, metal work, plumbing, electrical work, and 'fix-it' stuff. Cook meals from scratch (no frozen dinners, no microwave). Most of our pastimes are inexpensive and stay-at-home.

We've also both had jobs off the place, but are home-based now.

We're not especailly preppers, except in the oblique sense that know-how, equipment, and a year's-worth of food just seems to collect itself with us. ;)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I think we still fall into the category of 'wannabe' right now.... :-/

Ultimately, though, what drives me to do this isn't actually an issue of what if SHTF, but more the realization that the way the standard american lives isn't healthy. Period. It isn't frugality that drives my decisions but a feeling that what we have now just isn't good for us. Too much mass production, too many questionable ingredients, too far away from knowing the source of the things that are in our lives.

It all started a year ago with some folks that came to live at the facility for a few months working their way along. Their concept of food was much different than what I had ever experienced (even coming from a southern family) - she taught us WHY cooking from scratch is important. It has nothing to do with convenience versus time - it has everything to do with the fact that cooking from scratch is wholesome and nutritious. Cooking from convenient items is not. Its "fortified" and manufactured. Health comes from food in its most basic form. Food is health, and when treated as such, it can lead to amazing things. I won't go too far into it here, its quite unconventional though.

It went beyond food, though, she opened up the possibility for us of making our own laundry detergent. And that has begun a chain of what ifs... What if we can make this or that. What if things can be cleaned with simple ingredients rather than bottles and concoctions with ingredients that I can't even pronounce. What I happily discovered is not only do these things do the job as well as the store bought versions, but they're CHEAPER!

As we discovered these things, I began to realize that I wanted my own land, and my own animals that I could control what they were eating, and therefore be in control of our health and not at the mercy of what someone else deems "good." And so now we are gathering knowledge and working to learn more and more so that we can become more self sufficient.

So currently we're limited to doing little things like making our own detergent, and buying the best quality foods that we can afford in the mean time.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't qualify for any of the above. I live a mile back in the woods with solar panels and wood heat. Hubby hunts sometimes. I grow a few veggies in raised beds. Picture any other house in suburbia, only now move it to the middle of the woods. The only thing different about the house and me is that we put the power in ourselves. I lived there for a year with propane lights and no running water. It has power now. I'm not a survivalist, but I like to know how to do things myself just in case I'll ever need the skill. I know how to can foods, but don't do it for weeks every year. I don't grow everything I eat. But I get beef from a guy 2 miles down the road, I raise my own eggs, and make a lot of my food from scratch. I work full time, so I really can't do all this stuff myself. The best I can say is that I'm finally joining a CSA this year. If I'm going to pay for my food, I'd rather give my money directly to the farmer. It's also better for the environment. I will then be forced to handle the excess in a productive manner.

Meh- I just LIVE.

Latest posts