BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Hmm what does Buffy mean by this terminology? :D

Hobby homesteader?

Prepper?

Survival homesteader?

Self reliant or self sufficent?

Im considering myself a survival homesteader, of course this is not currently our only way of survival. We have a year round pantry, meat animals, large gardens and orchards, plus the year round animals like my breeding rabbits, laying chickens, guard dog, and soon to be milk cow.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hmmm what is today? ;) I switch up. I go from hobby to serious back to hobby....

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
You might need to define these, but I'd call us pretty serious homesteaders.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well...I recently looked up the definition of homestead and, since I'm not currently working a piece of land to "prove up" on the claim nor am I currently working on a raw piece of woodland acreage and clearing it for farming, so I'd say I'm no longer a homesteader, though I've been part of such a family unit in the past.

Definitely do not do this for kicks or for a hobby.

Definitely do not fit the label of a prepper....unless you mean it in Biblical terms.

I'm leaning towards the label of "self-reliance"...no matter where I live.

BusyBlonde

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Guess I'm a prepper, working towards serious. Working on expanding my gardens, planting more berry plants and fruit trees, got chickens but looking towards goats and a beef steer. Always looking for ways to make things myself, conserve more. Looking to replace our pre-fab fireplace with a woodstove. Learning to can, and preserve with other methods.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I really dunno where I would fit. I am homesteading, but I trade ALOT of animals back and forth too. I just got rid of 4 rabbits and a rooster. I have all my animals for "prepper" or "sustainability" reasons, but don't completely rely on them for food at the moment so don't consider myself anything other than a glorified hobby farmer at the moment. We don't eat strictly our chickens, but we have eat some, and all of their eggs that I don't hatch. we do drink goat milk, but don't eat goat :hu So where would you all say we fall in these categories?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I dont consider me or you (WBF) as hobby homesteaders. We are way to worked into it to be hobby'ers. I guess we would be Self Reliant Homesteaders.....good term there. We rely on ourselves as much as we can but still have to buy stuff. I guess Im sort of a prepper by having things canned and stocked but I see that as economical and frugal. I dont see us at our place self sufficent because true self sufficency is downright impossible.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I dont consider me or you (WBF) as hobby homesteaders. We are way to worked into it to be hobby'ers. I guess we would be Self Reliant Homesteaders.....good term there. We rely on ourselves as much as we can but still have to buy stuff. I guess Im sort of a prepper by having things canned and stocked but I see that as economical and frugal. I dont see us at our place self sufficent because true self sufficency is downright impossible.
Yeah, plus alot of days i don't like it enough to consider it a hobby :lol: I do it because I like the security of knowing we'll be okay come what may, because we have the foundation, and knowledge to be self sufficient if ever we are forced to be. But I hate it some days :p It's alot of dang WORK!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
BarredBuff said:
Yeah, plus alot of days i don't like it enough to consider it a hobby :lol: I do it because I like the security of knowing we'll be okay come what may, because we have the foundation, and knowledge to be self sufficient if ever we are forced to be. But I hate it some days :p It's alot of dang WORK!
It is a lot of work! Some days A LOT!