What can I do with LOTS of red worms?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yes and no. While we in this country don't think of worms, grubs, insects, etc as food, in other cultures they are, as well as a survival food. From what I understand, they're higher in protein than most meats. But I must admit, I don't really want to try them to find out. :sick (Though my entomology professor did talk about having us try grubs in order to pass the class. I'm glad he didn't do it.)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I would have to be starving to try it, but I bet they are not that bad (as long as you don't know what you are eating!). :sick

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't know about any one else, but when we dissected worms in high school biology, they had spaghetti on the school menu, and I was supposed to be buying lunch that day. The worms looked like spaghetti, or the spaghetti looked like worms. (If I remember correctly, I ended up buying a sandwich instead.)

maf8009

Power Conserver
Reaction score
thanks.. I will advertise on co- op and gardening sites, craigs list... and a few store chains. I also can sell from classified ads in some fishing mags? I think shipping worms will work too....

My dear hubby just rolls his eyes and moans :ep
when I come up with these ideas! LOL more ideas PLEASE :weee

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I would feed them to my hens along with whole grains. Bet yours would start laying a bit more if you gave them each a half dozen worms a day! Mine always do a bit better if they have meat and fat scraps in the winter, since they are on a whole grain diet.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Worm castings are also a salable commodity, though you may not have more than you can use for your own garden.

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tried them as chicken feed, my chickens would not eat them. Now that's not to say if you raised them to eat them it would not work, but apparently you can't just show up to your free range chickens and hand out worms. They look disgusted at you and resume catching grasshoppers. So I tried leaving the worms out there, but while I'm sure they don't have much of a brain, they have enough to not stick around and give the chickens a second chance. After a week of it I gave up, worms 1, chickens and April 0. The remainder of the worms got added to the huge horse and chicken manure outdoor pile, wonder if they survive winter in there?