What can I do with LOTS of red worms?

maf8009

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OK even I admit it... growing worms for fun is ...."over the edge" in weirdness. LOL... I am starting to grow HUGE tubs of red worms. (not wigglers) and find them facinating. (told you I was weird!) :frow Sooooo,

We have chickens and I was thinking of dishing up worms for a treat, selling some to gardners, local fishing establishments, selling castings,

We have lots of manure and straw and left overs for feed.. I am looking for creative ways to make money. :pop

With the cost of feed.. there seems to be no real money in eggs.. I am selling pullets (10-14 weeks old) for $15 each this spring.. there is a huge demand for chickens, but I do not want to pay $25 for a booth at farmers markets to sit all day and sell $30 worth of eggs! :somad

So any ideas? We raise our own beef (longhorn) chickens, a few goats to eat brush... what can I do to make money with WORMS? :idunno

All advice appreciated... thanks

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Sell worms to composters.

It is a HUGE deal in Colorado to get worms that can compost what you need. We have The Worm Guy. The Worm Exchange. Compost Worms....

Lots of businesses around worms here.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think the Red Wiggles are preferred for worm farms. Are your worms good for fishing???

Maybe sell on line to fishermen across the country. The should ship fine.

:idunno

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I wish I were near you and I'd buy some! We are going to have to dig around and find ours.

I have rabbits and plan to keep red worms in their poo that I'm saving. I live near a lake resort where people go to fish and I plan for my teenagers to have a little business for themselves. One is 14, one 19. I figure we can recycle containers, put out a sign Fishing Worms! and pull out a collection of fresh fat ones when fishermen show up.
Or let them pick out their own, and sell them apiece. We can give them the option. The nearest tackle shop is more than six miles from here, 20 miles if you want worms. Bwa Ha Ha Ha. Ours will be priced higher.

I want to use the castings for our garden, and if there are extra worms after that, feed my poultry some extra protein, and put some in the garden directly as well. Yup, worms will be useful! I don't think we will make great amounts of money but I was hoping to make my sons a little pocket change and learn to be industrious. The 14-year-old especially needs a way to earn money for school lunch because he likes to buy food at school.

The economy might be slow but people have not stopped fishing.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Me and the Granny have been brain storming and for poultry feed Im gonna get some worms to breed in some bins here soon.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got red wigglers from my dd's class when they were done with composting. I have seen posts on craigs selling worm poo and worms. I feed my worms to the chickens and frogs/toads. I keep the poo for my own yard.

If they were wigglers you could sell them to pets stores. I have seen a small cup go for $5 there.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I was going to suggest frying them up for dinner, but it sounds like you don't want to eat them.