What can you tell me about these chicken breeds?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Earlier this year I ordered a 50 chick assortment of brown egg layer males (cause they were CHEAP, .50 each!). I got the egg laying breeds because Cornish x creep me out. My beek friend raised them this year and they were frankenchickens eek! I might change my tune after this go round, cause these puppies grow s-l-o-w-l-y.

Anyways, I got several different breeds in the assortment and I think I have figured out most of them.

I have speckled sussex, a single rhode island red, buckeyes, barred rocks and then there are 2 breeds that are up in the air. The white ones could either be white rocks or white cochins, the black ones could be jersey giants, black australorps or dark cornish. I should be able to tell what they are before slaughter time.

I currently only have mature EE roos for breeding, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some other genetics in my flock.

What do you know about the breeds above?

ETA: I have EE & RIR laying hens to breed this with :D
E(again)TA: Basically, I want to end up with good combo mutt chickens, not real skinny while growing (I see jersy giants don't fill out until they get older, so those are out), good egg laying, tendancy toward broodiness & decent foragers.
The broodiness isn't as important, as I can get a bantum or two to raise babies for me, if none of the other ladies are inclined.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well I'll speak up for the plain old Rhode Island Red.

They don't get bragged about a lot because, I think, they are so common, but of our four breeds, (BO, RIR, EE and Russian orloffs) they have, by far, produced the most eggs over the two years we have had them and also are the most friendly chickens.

Not pretty, not fancy and not amazing, but good plain chickens. Mine are production reds, maybe your roo is more fancy. I have heard the roos are mean, but the closest I have is a BO/RIR cockerel and he is a sweetie, too bad he is destined for the freezer.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
RIRs can be aggressive. My hens that didnt have BO crossed with them were mean. But good layers.
BRs were absolutely stupid. And were not really that good of a egglayer.
BA seem to lay good. These are large framy. Mine are atleast. Pretty cold hardy (the only hens who have played in the snow this week).

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love my Barred Rocks. They are friendly chickens and lay everyday. Mine are not great big birds, but they aren't freezer potential anyway ;)

I have 2 RIRs. They lay everyday and are very independent. They are hatchery stock and not very big at all.

I also have 2 "supposedly" jersey Giants. I think one is an australorp. Nice birds, lay everyday. Giants get tall their first year and then fill out, so that is a definite slow growing meat bird.

My favorites though are my EEs and Brahmas. My EE "Stink" is my favorite hen. She doesn't lay consistently, but she is fun and friendly. (I know... I know... ) The Brahmas are big, fat, fluffy birds. I haven't been able to track their laying (I catch others in the nest box) but I think they are probably one of the everyday layers.

My roo is a big white EE - Big Poppy. He is like a Big PUppy... very nice roo.

ETA : BYC has a breed selector tool that may help

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know much about chicken breeds but I would look for the most docile rooster for my pack... I can't stand mean roos!

But for breeding I would also try to take into consideration what you are looking for in a flock... is it egg laying? Self sufficient chickens who are good at foraging? broody gals? meaty chickens? I would try to pick the breed who fit my needs best...

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
But for breeding I would also try to take into consideration what you are looking for in a flock... is it egg laying? Self sufficient chickens who are good at foraging? broody gals? meaty chickens? I would try to pick the breed who fit my needs best...
Zactly! That's what I'm trying to do here :D
I don't know much about these other breeds, so anything helps.

Basically, I want to end up with good combo mutt chickens, not real skinny while growing (I see jersy giants don't fill out until they get older, so those are out), good egg laying, tendancy toward broodiness & decent foragers.
The broodiness isn't as important, as I can get a bantum or two to raise babies for me, if none of the other ladies are inclined.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I hope to get an SS flock built up one day. That is my dream.

Kassaundra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Don't exactly know what you are looking for in your chickens you never said, but since you started out talking about cornish x I'm assuming you want a good meat bird? Assuming that I would say since they are hatchery birds to begin w/ they likely will all be decent layers so I would decide which to keep based on size at process time. If you are happy w/ your EE rooster (and who wouldn't be!!! lol) then I would decide how many breeding hens I needed and keep out the largest.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am looking for specific info on the breeds listed in the first post, as I stated, so I can make a decision as to whether to keep any of these Roosters for breeding. I will make a determination on each individual rooster based on its qualities as a whole.

My ultimate goals are in post #7. I will edit my original post to reflect that.