What cirriculum do you use in Homeschooling?

SimpleSchooling

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
I have taught every grade now except seventh which I will do this year.
I am doing 6th grade this year - which brings me full circle as far as teaching goes as well. My DD started in 7th - 12th and my DS was k-6 (now). It will feel funny to do the same history stuff again and read To Kill a Mockingbird (that was our first novel in DD 7th grade) next year.

Reaction score
We started homeschooling 2 years ago. We have 5 adopted foster children. They all have problems, mostly fetal alcohol syndrome. We were sending the 2 oldest to public school, the school was unable to deal with their problems so they would put them in special ed and keep advancing them. Then our 4 year old developed type 1 diabetes. The school said we would have to come there whenever she needed testing and that they were not really able to respond if she crashed. The paramedics would have to be called. So we decided to home school.

We found an excellent source through Denver public schools called Connections Academy. They provide a computer and all the learning materials. We of course buy all the basic supplies, but they provide stuff for science experiments etc. All 5 are doing quite well. My wonderful wife teaches what the computer programs don't. They also have get together's and field trips so the kids can interact and develop their social skills.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Great job! We have a program similar to that here with our public schools too, but we choose not to have the gov't involved with our schooling in anyway shape or form. We belong to a local homeschool group that we do field trips & other activiites like a weekly PE class & a monthly art class too.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Locally here you must start with your local or what they call your home school district's basic curriculum , unless you teaching religious based education. From there you may add what ever extra courses you like. When I was home schooled thought out high school over 7 years ago(until my senior year when I went back to graduate from the same school my grand farther did only 60 yrs later) I took extra writing course as well as collage art courses. And a lot of extra US history and regional cultural courses, those mostly because we traveled a lot, but frankly it gave me a whole new prospective on education. When I went back into the public school system and knew so much more then my classmates, and and seen things in action that they had only ever read or heard about on TV it really makes you think.

I would love to home school my son he as a great desire to learn anything about the sciences and mechanics, and he is only 5! When he was 4 all he wanted for Christmas was a telescope so he cold look at the moon and try to see the space station. What kind of little kid asks for that. This year he wanted farm stuff and stuff that would teach him about local wild animals. He wants to learn what the different tracks are in the snow, and what the different birds sound like when the call.

Unfortiantly the government is making it very hard to home school now in Pa. They want to you either cyber school your child, hire a professional tutor or get a teaching certification yourself to be able to teach your own child. Which is just rediculous.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I know there are some states that have made it difficult to HS, luckily we do not live in one, the rules are very relaxed here.

ShadyGlade

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We use the K-12 program through an on line charter school.

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a secular based homeschooling program that I could recommend to my brother and his ex for my niece?

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use Alpha Omega for my two boys. I am currently using the Lifepac cirriculum but plan once they get to the third grade to do 1-2 subjects with Switched-on-Schoolhouse. Both are from Alpha Omega. They have been great helping with any questios and concerns I have. They have a 20% off cirriculum sale every April and 15% in May. I plan to buy the next school years books this April. I would reccomend them for a christian based cirriculum. I was homeschooled with ACE School of Tommorrow and I really like it as well.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
xineohpoel said:
Any recommendations for a secular based homeschooling program that I could recommend to my brother and his ex for my niece?
Saxon is a good one.