What cirriculum do you use in Homeschooling?

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know why I haven't posted my cost savings homeschooling links before?

Here is a homeschooling co-op for curriculum and resources. They offer different specials all year long. www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org (I hope that's right?) They offer discounts on books/CD's, online cirruculum, field trips...etc.etc.etc. It's a great resource.

I also purchase books from www.libraryanded.com It offers wholesale prices to homeschoolers (and schools and churches). They don't have as huge of a selection as CBD, but if there's something in their selection, the prices are great! Alot of books are Christian based, but the ones that aren't... they're real careful to not have anything that goes against Christian principals. (ie.. creation, not theories.. etc) We've gotten complete sets of books w/ an almost $200 retail price for around $20... and they're terrific. The kids and I love them. They offer specials like that every now and then.

Can't think of anything else off hand right now. But hope these help someone!

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ACE School of Tomorrow...works well for us...once the kids are reading, they basically teach themselves....we will also be doing some "Unschooling" this year with some things....they learn on their own about things they are interested in...through experiments, observation, the library, field trips, etc.

AngelzFyre

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I use A Beka DVDs for both of mine. Have one going into 10th and one going into 11th this yr.
Started out using A Beka for most everything but did use Saxon Math at first and Shurley English.
Using just the one curriculum simplified things for us.

We do use local fine arts programs for homeschoolers for extra curricular drama, art, music etc.

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This year I am using sonlight and really enjoying it. I like the variety of books that the company supplies and I feel that my girls really are understanding history. Sonlight is expensive though.

In years past, I couldn't afford a curriculum. I used the library for history and science. If you know about what time period you want to cover in history or what subjects you want to do in science, then you can find a lot of free online experiments and projects to go with your studies.

For math I have been doing a combination of the Singapore and Key to....books for my girls. Their 15 year old brother uses Saxon for his math.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We are doing a combination of "unschooling" and homeschooling. I use Rod and Staff, Christain based curriculum, but I also use daily life as a learning experience.

For example, we got hatching eggs in the mail yesterday, and I used them as a back drop for explaining adoptions.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We use a hodge podge of different books. I order a lot from Christain Book Distributers. I really liked the A Beka science & health we used for second grade. I also get a lot of things off the internet for "free" can't be more frugal than that.

www.schoolexpress.com

is a great one that will even make tests for you & spelling lists too. Plus I can get free unit studies from them each week to print out too. 1000's of free printables are available from them. All it costs is the ink & paper to print it on.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Heather, isn't it a great site? I love it. they send me a newsletter every Sunday with a free unit study to print out. My son loves these studies as they have not only answering questions, but crisscross, word search, word unscrambles, color pages, crosswords, etc., in them.

scrambledmess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We are using Oak Meadow for the boys (ages 11 and 10). I purchased it for my daughter (age 6), but she isn't really jiving with it. So for her, I am still using their outline. However, I have had to supplement the actual material.