What did you barter today?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
erthymom2 said:
i custom cut fabic for quilters who don't have the time or patience to do it. they tell me what they have to swap for my service and i go by the pound of cut material and swap it for things like goat or cow milk, blue & green eggs, homemade detergent, wood screws, bailing twine for my hobble fence project wood ash in 5 gallon bucke4ts for chickens to dust in.
Brilliant!

I love this thread!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just found out my sister's father-n-law is coming over for eggs. I will be getting cabbage, beets, carrots and it seems like something else, but can't remember. He also wants some yuca (spelling) plants and sis is planning on showing me 2 ways to prepare it. She says we all need to propagate more yuca. If its what I think it is, I always more considered it a yard ornament. Will speak with DH. He is a great gardener. Anyway the old man will be taking some cuttings or roots or something from me.
Kinda hope sis will come with him because I can only speak English and French.....no Spanish.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, please tell us more about growing yucca. I love it! I just got two big roots. I peel it, take the "string" out of the middle, chunk it, simmer it for 30 min, then cut it into french fries and fry it in tallow. It makes the best fries, we don't use potatoes anymore when I have a fry craving. The extra work ensures that I don't make 'em too often! :p

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We have yucca growing wild all over the place out here. I have read up on how to prepare it, but would only use it in an emergency. It really doesn't seem to be hard to grow. Just don't over water it I guess.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH just confirmed that yucca is what I have normally referred to as elephant ears.
Ours is growing in a shady area. I don't guess we over water ours, but we are in a flood zone and the plant has gone under a few times, so I guess its not too delicate.
I have eaten the dish my sister is wanting to show me how to prepare, but I didn't realize that was the plant she took it from. It was good. Hinted on potatoe a bit. She had onions and garlic browned with it. The dish had a name I couldn't possibly remember because it wasn't Cajun....it was Cubian.
Anyway, now that I know the plant has a use for me that I can actually harvest and bring in the kitchen, I'm game. And considering where I have it growing, I feel I can try to transplant some to the woods. DH is on night shift and sleeping. Will speak with him about it later......anyone with any intelligence regarding this?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Yesterday bartered a propane tank for a composter. I definitely got the better end of that deal! It was a cheap plastic composter that you couldn't get into to turn. One of those things that people buy for their citified gardens because they look really great and are expensive but don't really do anything! Now I've got the tank for our new smoker. Time to get to the grocery and get a chicken to practice because no way am I going to ruin a whole turkey that I've been saving up on my first time out with a new machine!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I traded 2 dozen eggs a week for layer feed :D The neighbors wanted eggs, I'm tired of having to go buy feed...win/win. :lol: Now all I have to do to get my layer feed is cross the street with some eggies ;)

sekinkead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I traded a dozen eggs for some non-homogenized, barely pasteurized milk. Raw milk is illegal in Ohio but there is a company that pasteurizes it at the lowest legal temp and does not homogenize it. A friend of ours is friends with the milk man that delivers to the grocery store and he can get free milk, (they take it off the shelf when it is within 5 days of sell by date). He will trade me 1 dz eggs for 1/2 gal of milk. Now I have to figure out how to make cheese!