Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Figs...12 trays just turned on. Enough for 6 more waiting in frig... :drool 😁

IMG_20230803_093625365_HDR.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dehydrated Egg Review:

I've read a lot of reviews of dehydrated eggs and a lot of them were not encouraging. Most of the ones I saw were from dehydrating already scrambled eggs. However, I did see some positive reviews on the taste of dehydrated raw eggs, so I tried it.

Yesterday I dehydrated a dozen raw eggs. I mixed them up in the Bullet and poured them on homemade foil trays that I slipped into the Excalibur. (I just bought it and don't have solid trays for it yet) I dehydrated them @145 degrees overnight. Pulled them out this morning and powdered them in the Bullet. Before I stored them I wanted to try 'em.

I used 1 Tablespoon of egg powder and 1.5 Tablespoons of warm water. I set that aside while I cooked a piece of bacon. Removed the bacon and sauteed some onions in the grease. Poured off the extra grease and added the egg. Can't say I had much hope when I put it in the pan, lol. But when I started stirring it around to scramble it I've gotta say that it smelled good and looked like a scrambled egg. Taste test was so much better than I expected. If a freshly scrambled egg is a 10 on the taste scale - this was at least an 8.5 - 9. Absolutely shocked. DH liked it too. Not sure if I'd feel the same without the bacon and onion - but I'd eat these again in a heartbeat. I'll definitely be dehydrating more.

In other egg news - I've been dehydrating quail eggs (with shell) to supplement the uber expensive game bird feed that I use to start most of my chicks with. I've got guinea eggs in the incubator so I'm getting prepared.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did you end up doing this?
I did. I dried a couple of pounds of baby Bellas. When I first put them in the dehydrator, I thought they smelled pretty strong, but after a couple hours the strong smell abated, and they dried out well. I put them in some glass jars and vacuumed them. I haven't used any yet so no review as to the finished product.

This morning I've got a bucket of okra to wash, slice and get loaded into the dehydrator.