What did you do in the berry patch today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do cringe at the thought of potted or bareroot plants. I just know for me, trial and error has shown me that I for some reason can't start strawberries by seed, they just don't grow. I will have to splurge for plants/bareroots of strawberries
I think the best means to propagate strawberries is by forcing runners, isn't it?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's so confusing sometimes living in zone 6B or 7. I'm going to try and start highbush blueberries from seed. So do I need to go with northern or southern high bush blueberries? Why both ofcourse, because I have absolutely no idea and neither does anyone else that I can find 🤔

I've been researching and it seems I could go with one or the other, so I'll just try and sow both and see what happens. The first spring after winter will be the decision maker. What comes back in spring will be transplanted. But what doesn't come back I suspect it was not meant to be.

This is my very first experience with blueberry seeds. This little zip-lock baggie, is supposed to be 200 pre stratified seeds, it looks like there's a lot more than than 200 to me. And yep, that's a sharpened #2 pencil for comparison. Tiny specks, aren't they? I'll probably need a magnifying glass and a damp toothpick, steady hand, lots of holding my breath, and lots of light to sow these seeds in to seed trays. Could you just imagine what would happen, if I sneezed? 😂
IMG_20220821_233111406~2.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd love a patch of blueberry bushes but between goats and chickens, the chances for survival of plant -- or picking fruit would require a Fort Knox fence and guards. 😔. I've lost two fig and 2.5 apple trees.....that were fenced!! 😥. One apple tree (the half) was broken and I left it. Sprouts came up. Not sure if from tree or root stock. So far those are growing and I'm waiting. 🤷

I have elderberries growing in a couple patches here on the farm. They're wild seeded and do well, so long as I keep the goats from them. There are LOTS of new plants each year. I've fenced off the best 2 patches. Beautiful berries this year. Maybe I should pot some plants to sell 🤔

So I pick fruit from local farms if wanted. This year I lucked out and got free blueberry picking!! Plus my friends figs from her trees/bushes...those I get each year. She gets free eggs all year.🤗. Blackberries are wild but small and not really sweet like cultivated varieties. Goats keep the wild blackberries in check. I just go outside the fences.

Amazing how they eat those blackberry leaves and leave a thorny vine!!😳

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here are my Ozark beauty in June, they've really grown. I will add an updated pic tomorrow. I also have one more box with another Everbearing type, I will grab that picture too.

Attachments

• 20220525_140018.jpg
    20220525_140018.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 133

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
right now, we're just eating them fresh; berries being one of the few fruits I'm "allowed" on keto. Eventually I may have to make some kind of sugar-free preserves or desserts.
Please let us know about good sugar-free preserves or desserts you come across.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Starting blueberries from seed