What did you do in the berry patch today?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so the round of strawberries I bought from the local nursery that were supposed to be everbearing I think are june bearing. They are lush and beautiful-standing about 6-8 inches tall but didn't continue to blossom and produce berries like the Ozarks-same dirt-same sunlight-same watering and actually look healthier than the ever bearings!

My question is do I need to prune these down to the ground? I thought I read somewhere that it is best to prune them back each year, but I don't know if this is accurate or not. I wonder how runners make new plants if you do that.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I recieved my order of 200+ Northern Highbush Blueberry seeds today along with Highbush Blueberry Growing Instructions. Now I have the info needed to sprout Highbush blueberry seeds. I'm just about ready to sow them into 72 cell flats 👍

Hope you can read, good instructions on starting and growing from seed.
IMG_20220827_234438143~2.jpg

IMG_20220827_234457650~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Starting strawberries from seed, yes seed.

The use of ground cinnamon, to control mold and fungus growth is something I've never heard of before.

Worth the time to watch... Some people are smart and just have green thumbs.

1 of 3

2 of 3

3 of 3

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
question....has anyone ever planted strawberries and raspberries in the fall? I was doing some reading and it seems to be an ok thing to do. I have only every planted in the spring but if I could get some new plants in this fall that would be awesome. Didn't know if my cold winters would make a difference in if this is feasible or not.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
My alpine strawberries are doing pretty good. We are starting to get a few berries now. I lost some plants because we had a major heat wave right after I planted them (note to self: get some Wilt Stop in the future!) The raspberries are going like gangbusters finally. It's been about 4 years of them just sort of piddling along and then all of a sudden they realized they were supposed to be setting berries!
What will you make with them?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score