What did you do in the berry patch today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For those of us who would like or have a berry patch. Big or small does matter even it's massive or just a single pot.

This is the start of our Ozark Beauty strawberry patch. I started dormant plants in a dollar general kiddie pool screwed down to a pallet, late this winter/early spring. The soil in kiddie pool is half barn floor scaping, peat moss and a healthy dose of barn lime mixed in. I also popped several 3/8" holes around the bottom edge of the kiddie pool for drainage

Deer sample them every once in a while but they leaf right back. haven't had any issues with bugs. We've been nipping the flowers off as they show up so they can focus more on growth and runners (more plants) instead of strawberries. It takes about four 5 gallon buckets to water the kiddie pool. We've just been watering when needed, which hasn't been often because rains help 👍. The plan is to set them out this fall into a 4 x 100 foot row.

IMG_20220801_170728536.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here are my Ozark beauty in June, they've really grown. I will add an updated pic tomorrow. I also have one more box with another Everbearing type, I will grab that picture too.

Attachments

• 20220525_140018.jpg
    20220525_140018.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 123

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
question....has anyone ever planted strawberries and raspberries in the fall? I was doing some reading and it seems to be an ok thing to do. I have only every planted in the spring but if I could get some new plants in this fall that would be awesome. Didn't know if my cold winters would make a difference in if this is feasible or not.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My alpine strawberries are doing pretty good. We are starting to get a few berries now. I lost some plants because we had a major heat wave right after I planted them (note to self: get some Wilt Stop in the future!) The raspberries are going like gangbusters finally. It's been about 4 years of them just sort of piddling along and then all of a sudden they realized they were supposed to be setting berries!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
My alpine strawberries are doing pretty good. We are starting to get a few berries now. I lost some plants because we had a major heat wave right after I planted them (note to self: get some Wilt Stop in the future!) The raspberries are going like gangbusters finally. It's been about 4 years of them just sort of piddling along and then all of a sudden they realized they were supposed to be setting berries!
What will you make with them?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
question....has anyone ever planted strawberries and raspberries in the fall? I was doing some reading and it seems to be an ok thing to do. I have only every planted in the spring but if I could get some new plants in this fall that would be awesome. Didn't know if my cold winters would make a difference in if this is feasible or not.
I'll be setting out our strawberries and asparagus this fall. I know most everyone does spring planting. Both are perennials, so I don't see why I couldn't do a fall planting?

Next year will be elderberries, and blueberries started in kiddie pools.

I would like to start rhubarb from seed, but don't need many plants to justify a kiddie pool. Still researching rhubarb varieties, there are several. Rhubarb and strawberries go together like hand and glove.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
right now, we're just eating them fresh; berries being one of the few fruits I'm "allowed" on keto. Eventually I may have to make some kind of sugar-free preserves or desserts.
Please let us know about good sugar-free preserves or desserts you come across.

Latest posts