What did you do in the berry patch today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I recieved my order of 200+ Northern Highbush Blueberry seeds today along with Highbush Blueberry Growing Instructions. Now I have the info needed to sprout Highbush blueberry seeds. I'm just about ready to sow them into 72 cell flats ๐Ÿ‘

Hope you can read, good instructions on starting and growing from seed.
IMG_20220827_234438143~2.jpg

IMG_20220827_234457650~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd love a patch of blueberry bushes but between goats and chickens, the chances for survival of plant -- or picking fruit would require a Fort Knox fence and guards. ๐Ÿ˜”. I've lost two fig and 2.5 apple trees.....that were fenced!! ๐Ÿ˜ฅ. One apple tree (the half) was broken and I left it. Sprouts came up. Not sure if from tree or root stock. So far those are growing and I'm waiting. ๐Ÿคท

I have elderberries growing in a couple patches here on the farm. They're wild seeded and do well, so long as I keep the goats from them. There are LOTS of new plants each year. I've fenced off the best 2 patches. Beautiful berries this year. Maybe I should pot some plants to sell ๐Ÿค”

So I pick fruit from local farms if wanted. This year I lucked out and got free blueberry picking!! Plus my friends figs from her trees/bushes...those I get each year. She gets free eggs all year.๐Ÿค—. Blackberries are wild but small and not really sweet like cultivated varieties. Goats keep the wild blackberries in check. I just go outside the fences.

Amazing how they eat those blackberry leaves and leave a thorny vine!!๐Ÿ˜ณ

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Planted 200 foot of Ozark beauty strawberries today. At least 200 plants, on 1 foot spacing. I guess it would be a double row. If it had white roots I planted it ๐Ÿ˜.

I still have a bunch left over, like enough for another 200 foot at least. I plan on adding dirt to the outside edges of the kiddie pool, where I pulled up plants and let them do their strawberry thing in the kiddie pool next spring. As for the 100 foot double row? well who doesn't like strawberries ๐Ÿ˜‹

Right side is 100 foot double row of strawberries. Wife says rain tomorrow then a week of 50's during the day. So I'll cover them with hay next week. Hopefully they will come back next spring.
IMG_20221123_140342979~2.jpg

Here's what's leftover. We pinched flowers off all growing season to force them to run. We might have overdone the running a little bit ๐Ÿ˜‚
IMG_20221123_162249584.jpg

At least the strawberry patch is planted and I won't have to plant them come spring.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think we bought our Ozark Beauty strawberry plants at the right time.

$19.99 each :ep
https://www.starkbros.com/products/berry-plants/strawberry-plants/ozark-beauty-strawberry

Will cause a person to love their strawberry plants, even more won't it? ๐Ÿ˜…

Stark Bros has got 25 pack of bare root $18.99 or a single strawberry plant in a 4" pot for $19.99
Screenshot_20230130-143714.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Starting strawberries from seed, yes seed.

The use of ground cinnamon, to control mold and fungus growth is something I've never heard of before.

Worth the time to watch... Some people are smart and just have green thumbs.

1 of 3

2 of 3

3 of 3

Last edited: