sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Picked raspberries, pak choi, napa cabbage, romaine, sugar snap peas and green onions.

Sumi, here's a pic of my pumpkins so far...this is just two plants, but they are taking over the garden. By the end of the season these will have spread to nearly every corner of the garden, though I've been trying to train them off the fences and trellises.

View attachment 7803 View attachment 7805
They look amazing! :) I'm SO glad I finally got a seed to come up out there, I planted about 4 times. One plant seems plenty though, looking at those pics! ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Stood up corn, tied up tomatoes & peppers weeded most of the garden. It should be dry enough to cultivate in-between the rows in a free days.

CC, been meaning to ask you....when you sprayed squash bugs with dishwashing liquid, did you get any chemical burns on your plants? Everywhere I spray this stuff, it damages the leaves, eating a hole right through them and I'm not doing it in the hot sun but in the early mornings or late evening.

Think I got the mix too strong?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here are pics of the summer garden after picking up the peices from a week of wet weather, thunder/wind storms. It needs another day or two before I can get in there and till/cultivate. It needs nitrogen badly after all this rain, so I'll do that also. My three rows of bush green beans all broke off during the wind storm so I have to till and resow them :(

Sweet corn after standing back up.

IMG_20180702_124823097.jpg

Two rows okra, two rows sunflowers (needed to be thinned) and 1 row of bachelor buttons also needs thinning.
IMG_20180702_124831933.jpg

Peppers and tomatoes
IMG_20180702_124845055.jpg

Poor garden took a beating... Well at least I haven't given up on it like most everyone around me has. After clutivating I plan on mulching it in with hay.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Watering, weeding and praying for rain here. I noticed yesterday that my zucchini plants are growing double flowers. One I accidentally knocked off the stalk when I tried to take a pic :( It had two perfect flowers on a single stalk, like twins. I can't wait to see where this is going. My roses are blooming happily now too :) After the first one the hens didn't eat any more of them and I hope they'll continue ignoring them now.

IMG_1989.jpg
IMG_1991.jpg
IMG_1992.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Those are beautiful, @sumi !!!! Love that color of rose and now have two that color...bought one Sat. half off at Lowe's.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Those pumpkins look great! What variety and species?

Those are Rouge Vif D'Etampes aka Cinderella pumpkins. They are an heirloom variety, a pie pumpkin. They store beautifully, have thick meaty walls and grow like they are on steroids...gotta have a lot of space. Great to plant within corn for shading the roots and keeping weeds down there but they will climb most anything....problem with that is some of the pumpkins get up to 40+ lbs. That can bring down a flimsy trellis, so just train them where you want them to be.

Here's a few pics...they are my favorite pumpkin to grow and save for the chickens, letting them ferment and then feed in the winter months. ALL the animals love these pumpkins when fermented and will lick the ground to get every fragment.

They are usually not this scarred up, but these first two were up against the garden fence and the chickens were eating on them while they were new and tender, so I had to move them. The result was all this scarring on the pumpkins.

100_4992.jpg
100_3806.jpg

100_4899.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Those are Rouge Vif D'Etampes aka Cinderella pumpkins. They are an heirloom variety, a pie pumpkin. They store beautifully, have thick meaty walls and grow like they are on steroids...gotta have a lot of space. Great to plant within corn for shading the roots and keeping weeds down there but they will climb most anything....problem with that is some of the pumpkins get up to 40+ lbs. That can bring down a flimsy trellis, so just train them where you want them to be.

Here's a few pics...they are my favorite pumpkin to grow and save for the chickens, letting them ferment and then feed in the winter months. ALL the animals love these pumpkins when fermented and will lick the ground to get every fragment.

They are usually not this scarred up, but these first two were up against the garden fence and the chickens were eating on them while they were new and tender, so I had to move them. The result was all this scarring on the pumpkins.

View attachment 7857 View attachment 7858

View attachment 7859
Mine are on their second set of leaves and looking very happy. Just got the one to come up so far, but if I can get one off there, I'll be happy for now :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Mine are on their second set of leaves and looking very happy. Just got the one to come up so far, but if I can get one off there, I'll be happy for now :)

You'll be more than happy to have just the one if it grows there like they grow here...it will literally take over your whole garden if you let it, reaching in all directions and climbing everything in sight. It's a glorious mess in the end but the pumpkins are so very pretty, dense, and long lasting that it's worth it.

Latest posts