1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out this member patch of earth- Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by Beekissed, May 9, 2017.

1. Jul 1, 2018
    BarredBuff

BarredBuff El Presidente de Pollo

Those pumpkins look great! What variety and species?

2. Jul 2, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

They look amazing! :) I'm SO glad I finally got a seed to come up out there, I planted about 4 times. One plant seems plenty though, looking at those pics! ;)

Beekissed likes this.
  3. Jul 2, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Stood up corn, tied up tomatoes & peppers weeded most of the garden. It should be dry enough to cultivate in-between the rows in a free days.

4. Jul 2, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

CC, been meaning to ask you....when you sprayed squash bugs with dishwashing liquid, did you get any chemical burns on your plants? Everywhere I spray this stuff, it damages the leaves, eating a hole right through them and I'm not doing it in the hot sun but in the early mornings or late evening.

Think I got the mix too strong?

5. Jul 2, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Here are pics of the summer garden after picking up the peices from a week of wet weather, thunder/wind storms. It needs another day or two before I can get in there and till/cultivate. It needs nitrogen badly after all this rain, so I'll do that also. My three rows of bush green beans all broke off during the wind storm so I have to till and resow them :(

Sweet corn after standing back up.

IMG_20180702_124823097.jpg

Two rows okra, two rows sunflowers (needed to be thinned) and 1 row of bachelor buttons also needs thinning.
    IMG_20180702_124831933.jpg

Peppers and tomatoes
    IMG_20180702_124845055.jpg

Poor garden took a beating... Well at least I haven't given up on it like most everyone around me has. After clutivating I plan on mulching it in with hay.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    sumi and Beekissed like this.
  6. Jul 8, 2018
    sumi

Watering, weeding and praying for rain here. I noticed yesterday that my zucchini plants are growing double flowers. One I accidentally knocked off the stalk when I tried to take a pic :( It had two perfect flowers on a single stalk, like twins. I can't wait to see where this is going. My roses are blooming happily now too :) After the first one the hens didn't eat any more of them and I hope they'll continue ignoring them now.

IMG_1989.jpg IMG_1991.jpg IMG_1992.jpg

CrealCritter and Beekissed like this.
  7. Jul 8, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Those are beautiful, @sumi !!!! Love that color of rose and now have two that color...bought one Sat. half off at Lowe's.

sumi likes this.
  8. Jul 8, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Those are Rouge Vif D'Etampes aka Cinderella pumpkins. They are an heirloom variety, a pie pumpkin. They store beautifully, have thick meaty walls and grow like they are on steroids...gotta have a lot of space. Great to plant within corn for shading the roots and keeping weeds down there but they will climb most anything....problem with that is some of the pumpkins get up to 40+ lbs. That can bring down a flimsy trellis, so just train them where you want them to be.

Here's a few pics...they are my favorite pumpkin to grow and save for the chickens, letting them ferment and then feed in the winter months. ALL the animals love these pumpkins when fermented and will lick the ground to get every fragment.

They are usually not this scarred up, but these first two were up against the garden fence and the chickens were eating on them while they were new and tender, so I had to move them. The result was all this scarring on the pumpkins.

100_4992.jpg 100_3806.jpg

100_4899.jpg

NH Homesteader likes this.
  9. Jul 8, 2018
    sumi

Mine are on their second set of leaves and looking very happy. Just got the one to come up so far, but if I can get one off there, I'll be happy for now :)

Beekissed likes this.
  10. Jul 8, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

You'll be more than happy to have just the one if it grows there like they grow here...it will literally take over your whole garden if you let it, reaching in all directions and climbing everything in sight. It's a glorious mess in the end but the pumpkins are so very pretty, dense, and long lasting that it's worth it.

sumi likes this.