Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No tilling! No need to. If the soil is kept covered with mulch, there is absolutely no need to till. The soil remains soft so there is no need to till. Even large scale farmers are moving away from the practice of tilling! My tiller sits in the garage until a friend wants to borrow it. Essentially, the only time it gets started up is when we take it out for him to borrow!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter You already have a great compost base, "This winters CCX, Turkey, Ducks and Chicken deep bedding, with lots of barn lime mixed in"
in this video
Paul goes over to Short's Family Farm located in Chimacum, WA in the rainy winter most of his land in a pond. This is what they sell, https://www.shortsfamilyfarm.com/soil.html at point 16.25 i nthe video Nick shows the break down of the compost. I believe Paul does this ever other year rotating which beds get done.
Paul is very crippled. Nick is a blessing.

In this video he is making his news rows, 1 1/2 rake heads apart, he just uses his rake handle to make a row. He is making the rows closer so he can plant more. He just rakes back the chips from where he wants a bed. So all of the area is like what you have going , just with wood chips. In is Film, he explains the WHY, for the wood chips.

BUT keep in mind, he has a LOT of ground water and run off from the Olympic Mt. he has much more water than I do, because he is at the base I am not, I dont have wet ground, mine is very dry.
View attachment 16332

I REALLY!!! wanted to eliminate my driveway around the house and not put in the concrete block beds, I wanted to leave one truck width so if we needed work on the well a truck could back in,,,, and build up my soil, cover it with the woodchips, make walkways, and just garden all around the house,,, but no go, my DH said nah,
BUT, it still could be done, my raised beds are quite deep, Oh well,

View attachment 16333
Thanks, I'll have to study this.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

"They ran to the groceries, they filled up their carts,
They emptied the Tops...Price Chopper...Walmart.
They panicked and fought and then panicked some more,
Then they rushed to their homes and they locked all the doors.
The food will be gone! The milk eggs and cheese!
The yogurt! The apples! The green beans and peas!
The stores have run out, now what will we do?
"They’ll be starving and looting and nothing to do!
Then they paused, and they listened a moment or two.
And they did hear a sound, rising over the fear,
It started out far, then began to grow near.
But this sound wasn’t sad, nor was it new,
The farms were still doing what farms always do.
"The food was still coming, though they’d emptied the shelves,
The farms kept it coming, though they struggled themselves,
Though the cities had forgotten from where their food came,
The farms made them food every day, just the same.
Through weather and critics and markets that fall,
The farms kept on farming in spite of it all.
"They farmed without thank you's.
They farmed without praise.
They farmed on the hottest and coldest of days.
They’d bought all the food, yet the next day came more,
And the people thought of something they hadn’t before.
Maybe food, they thought, doesn’t come from a store.
Maybe farmers, perhaps...mean a little bit more."
~~Anna Richards~~

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I havent done much in the garden today, but yesterday I dug a hole for a new nectarine tree. Transplanted some strawberries. Moved a bunch of big pots around and shaped the hedges. Everything is growing crazy fast with all the rain and now sunshine. There is grass coming up under the hedges and under the prickle bushes! I am trying to keep on top of it all, but might just go for another monster mulching session before spring comes.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've learned my lesson about squash. Must plant zucchini at least 4 feet apart. Pumpkins need even more. The leaves on all reach to chest height.

I was late planting as the tiller had to wait for parts to rebuild the carb because I didn't check it when we were too soaked to till.

I should have ripe zucchini and cherry tomatoes in the next week. I've been picking cucumbers for a bit now.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Half of the first bell pepper picking, the other half went home with my daughter in law.

IMG_20210729_193404058.jpg

Wife also made stuffed green peppers, de lici ous 👍

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've learned my lesson about squash. Must plant zucchini at least 4 feet apart. Pumpkins need even more. The leaves on all reach to chest height.

I was late planting as the tiller had to wait for parts to rebuild the carb because I didn't check it when we were too soaked to till.

I should have ripe zucchini and cherry tomatoes in the next week. I've been picking cucumbers for a bit now.

I won't say anything about a spacing zucchini... Other than we got squash coming out of our ears. My wife and daughter in law are canning and freezing up a storm. I asked my wife if the squash needed water, she gave me the stink eye. Can't wait for the butternut squash to turn Mmmmm good.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just some light weeding today. Earthworms out in force! Front hedge needs doing again soon.

Latest posts