1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Support bar for top of run - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by Beekissed, May 9, 2017.

1. Aug 3, 2017
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

I collected a bunch of squash from my little coop bed. Cut them up, vacuum sealed and froze in soup sized batches. I'll have to do more tomorrow. Probably will shred those. I love using shredded zucchini to make patties and it works better after freezing since some of the water comes out. And hubby loves zucchini bread.

It's just too hot here right now. Normal summer runs in the low 80s. It was 95 today and tomorrow will be hotter. AC is rare here.

2. Aug 3, 2017
    Hinotori

Oh and skinned, cut up and froze 16 pounds of peaches. It's not a lot but we can get more

3. Aug 4, 2017
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Had to water today, rain has been sufficient until last week. BUT I harvested 3 lovely butternut squash, about 3# each & there are 15 + more on there. Still flowering & setting fruit. 3 volunteer vines are sure paying off!! Tomatoes are being over run by the squash vines but doing OK. Should have some slicers ripe next week. got a dozen or so grapes today. Been too hot for fruit to set but, cooling now & blooms galore!

Wanted to till for Fall planting/seeds but, spent 9 hrs bush hogging pastures so no tilling -- just sunburn.

4. Aug 4, 2017
    Hinotori

Right now I'm thinking I need a drip irrigation for the pots. Spending an hour a day hand watering gets old

5. Aug 4, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Good on the butternut and 15 more is awesome! I did pick a cucumber, so that's something, lol.

6. Aug 5, 2017
    Mini Horses

For me, anything is great -- even one cuke!:)

My trading friend gave me hand picked figs today -- just shy of 11 pounds!! I'm loving it. Those rascals will be in the dehydrator tonight. Plus, a few slicing tomatoes from her garden. Yum -- tomato sandwiches.

So, here are my butternuts....:drool

0804171201a.jpg

crealbilly likes this.
  7. Aug 5, 2017
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Does this butternut squash look even close to ready? I'm not thinking it's ready at all - I still see some green in the creases. Its supposed to be a tan to orange color also correct?
    IMG_20170804_173915018.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  8. Aug 6, 2017
    Mini Horses

No. it's got a couple weeks...or so. Mine pictured were the color of yours, then the green left and then the tan began, darkened a little and the skin got a hardness to it. They will harden more now that off the vine and get a shade or so darker tan, also.

The vines are really tough near the fruit so it works best if you take some heavy snippers when you harvest, leave 2-3 inch on each one. Store cool, dry, dark & they will last for several months. Of course, they can be frozen & canned.

My vines are heavy producers. I see 17 more on them & they are still growing and flowering :rolleyes: I only have 3 vines!! The way you plant, you're gonna have a truckload. :lol: They are good eating. My chickens, goats & pigs liked them.

crealbilly likes this.
  9. Aug 6, 2017
    CrealCritter

Lol... How did you know I use the truck for picking? It's so much easier than hauling 5 gallon buckets back up to the house.

10. Aug 8, 2017
    CrealCritter

I had a tall (like 10') sunflower fall over in the garden yesterday. It has seeds already so I cut the flower off and put it in the layer yard. Stupid chickens have no idea what to do with it... and to top it off - they all looked at me as if I'm the dumb one for putting it in their yard. Crazy chickens - they will have to figure it out I guess..
    IMG_20170807_183602903.jpg

A guy does all this work planting something they love to eat and they don't even know what to do with it. Maybe I am the dumb one after all...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    baymule likes this.