Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BeeKissed -- I love that white cat!!

I love him too...he's a real character around here. He has loved the garden from the very beginning and spends a lot of time in there, especially if I'm there too. His mate is his sister, a tabby, who is also sweet but doesn't have much of a personality beyond that.

Their current baby, Sweetums, is turning out to be a funny little cat like his dad....

100_0712.JPG

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
well -- kitten is cute but nothing like dad! So it goes.....

I DID get out into my garden yesterday as morning rains were quick and low amounts. Afternoon some mist and a couple very light sprinkles. I planted golden bantam corn -- a small block that is maybe a 125' total @ 5X25ish. Probably all I will want if each stalk gives just one ear & most will throw 2, but small ones on this old type corn.

Filled 4 containers & planted herbs...sage, basil, oregano, etc.
Hand hoed/tilled around all the tomatoes, eggplant and peppers. String beans really popped with the rain/cool temps.

Weeded out a raised bed area to plant later in week. Will mix in more dirt & some chicken poo first. Dug a spot about 18"X6' and put seeds in to sprout, then transplant -- cukes, cherry tomatoes, marigolds, bunching onions. Should see zukes & squash up soon. Exciting to have a garden working again as last year was minimal...but produced well. It was first year in many that I had been able to even plant one.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sunday I hit a big frost heave rock in my summer garden with my Troy built and snapped the handle right off. So unbolted the handle and welded it all back together, I also welded on a stiffening plate so it won't break again. I I bolted the handle back on, pleased that it's good and solid now. So I started tilling and a few passes and I sheded the drive belt.

If I didn't know better... I could swear God don't want me to garden this year. I'll go to town tomorrow and get a new belt and try again...

I guess the bright side maybe is, at least I can fix it when I break it. But then again when I break it, I have to fix it... Being a guy who can fix it is a double edged sword.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think my husband feels the same way sometimes. Nice that he can fix it, but it's a bummer he always has to!

I got tomato plants ! I won't even try to start them next year, I'll just go visit this lovely woman. The plants are big and strong, heirloom varieties. They look fantastic and I got 6 plants for $5. Today I have to move some soil, critter proof and transplant. Also DH got some perennial herbs I need to find a home for!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Planted marigolds and zinnias in my son's garden...just a few more zinnias over there and I'll be done. Need to plant more into trays and hope they get big enough, soon enough, to make a difference in the gardens.

For all intents and purposes his little front yard garden is now planted. He has Red Pontiac spuds planted in the middle, some sweet Candy onions, Crimson Sweet watermelons, hot peppers, sweet peppers, yellow squash, half runner beans, green onions, chives, strawberries, garlic, clematis, honeysuckle, D'Oro Lilys, marigolds, zinnias, and impatiens.

Can't wait to see it all leafing out and filling in all the spaces!

Currently making some little homemade solar garden lights for out there too...Aliza wanted some and also one for her bedroom and her neighbor's front porch. She loves to give "Miss Betsy" things like banana nut bread, flowers, etc.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got 4 more rows of pepper "seedlings" planted and 3 rows of green beans. Thanks to my daughter and son-in-law.
IMG_20180607_200915276.jpg

Green beans are a bush type I've grown every year for decades. I have no idea what kind they are but my kids always called them sweet beans. I don't shell them, just let a bucket full of shells dry over winter and toss the whole shell into a trench, cover with soil and they have always sprouted.
IMG_20180607_200905031.jpg

Soil is almost perfect to work into a deep fluff. But it was HOT and humid today in the mid 90's.

Last edited:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Planted winter squash this morning. Then re planted missing green beans, and missing sweet potatoes. I also thinned my summer squash, okra, and cucumbers.

Weeded and fertilized cucumbers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and green beans.

Tonight, I am going to plant watermelon, lima beans, and sweet corn. Ground is already worked for the sweet corn.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Got my lima beans, watermelon and sweet corn in the ground. Had extra room so planted more Jarrahadale squash and Butternut squash. Then planted two small roles of Greasy Grit pole beans.

Planting a few sunflowers, and she will finally be planted!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm weeding and forgetting to plant cucumbers :\ It's probably too late now… My replanted zucchini managed to grow, all two of them, but the bugs started attacking my cauliflowers instead. I'm probably going to have to replant them and cover them up overnight *sigh* The sweet pea bed I planted is looking good. It looks like most of the seeds took, I have seedlings spread over the bed. The corn I planted to replace the dud sweetcorn came up and is growing well.