Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got the whipper snipper out again this afternoon. Its so beautiful in the garden at sunset and the days are getting longer again. I cant believe how late in the evening it is already! My arms are a bit shakey now but it was nice to tidy some edges and knock down some weeds on the verge of seed. The cheeky ducks took their chance to get onto the patio so I hope they didnt poop too much. It got too dark before the second battery ran out, but since it is cool I might get into it again tomorrow in the hope any snakes might be sleepy. It will be cold overnight but I am not sure if there will be frost. Win for me if there is and it helps level the weed patches a bit more. My seedlings are mostly in protected spaces.

I really need to get on moving some plants around tomorrow to get in to the swing of spring. I would like all my work to amount to something!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love "whipper snipper". We call it a weed wacker. I was listening to an Australian comedian on Sirius XM the other day and his skit was on using Australian phrases in the US - namely "whipper snipper" and "Car Park".

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well, what i should have been doing yesterday was picking shelly lima beans, but instead i was inside shelling beans and trying to recover from a night of poor sleep.

the frost last night caught me by surprise and so today i'll see if anything is edible and get that picked, shelled and cooked.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've seen clusters as big 13 fruits. These are average size apples.

20200919_182820.jpg

20200919_182225.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Currently doing garden clean up/out with the help of three sheep and they are doing a fantastic job! Easiest clean out ever. Usually put all that stuff in the coop, so will miss that this year, but I'm glad it's being utilized and put back onto the garden all the same....just a quicker turn around this time.

Yesterday I had a trellis that was wall to wall green vines of tomato and beans and today that trellis is completely stripped of all greenery. A whole bed of overgrown asparagus is currently getting a huge trimming, flowers are being eaten, squash and potato vines consumed and even weeds are being consumed.

If they could get their teeth into those hard pumpkins and squash, they would eat those too. I'll leave those in place for the chickens and to rot down so they are easier for all concerned to eat.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Currently doing garden clean up/out with the help of three sheep and they are doing a fantastic job! Easiest clean out ever. Usually put all that stuff in the coop, so will miss that this year, but I'm glad it's being utilized and put back onto the garden all the same....just a quicker turn around this time.

Yesterday I had a trellis that was wall to wall green vines of tomato and beans and today that trellis is completely stripped of all greenery. A whole bed of overgrown asparagus is currently getting a huge trimming, flowers are being eaten, squash and potato vines consumed and even weeds are being consumed.

If they could get their teeth into those hard pumpkins and squash, they would eat those too. I'll leave those in place for the chickens and to rot down so they are easier for all concerned to eat.

i'm surprised they haven't figured out how to trample them to get them started, but perhaps they'd need to be shown first... :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dummy me went out to the garden to check the sweet corn, it wasn’t ready. BUT I picked 54 jalapeños, 44 Cubanelle sweet peppers and 8 eggplant. I have got to stop doing this to myself!! I gave away the jalapeños. I cooked a ground lamb and eggplant mixture with lots of cream cheese, sharp cheddar, and seasoning, stuffed 12 of those Cubanelle peppers, sliced in two. We ate 4, I froze the rest. I’m so ready to turn the sheep in the garden! Waiting on that durn corn.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love "whipper snipper". We call it a weed wacker

It certainly does its fair share of weed whacking :p I will have to go out and do more again already. The shire put an article in the newspaper saying the grass is not allowed to be more than 100mm high. This late rain has been really helpful, but is doubling the workload!

I trimmed back the hedges today, except for the front, cos I still have grass above 100mm high haha. The ducks like the seeds which are just about over anyway. I found one of the duck eggs in the shire carpark on the way to the post office the other day. The crows have been getting them before I do, but I am really not too fussed because I am off eggs right now.

Planted some of last years sunflowers out in a patch of dirt that has just started to spout oat grass. I pulled that out and put the sunflowers in hoping they thrive in this weather. The last tulips of the season are just about in full flower. So beautiful. No tulips out the front this year, the leaves came up but no buds. I will have to do some reading on what they want to flower. I got a bright purple Iris for the first time. So stunning against the grey sky.

The baby peach tree has some tiny green buds :D Made my day.

Latest posts