What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter do you follow a specific pickled pepper recipe? I LOVE peppers on sandwiches, brats, burgers, etc
Exactly and even on Italian beef ๐Ÿ˜‹ Recipe Yep, this is the one she uses. Ensure to read the bottom of the recipe.

This is the best I could do, because the pickled peppers crew, bust out into spontaneous praise and worship with Big Daddy Weave on the radio loud, dancing around the living room \o/

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is full of info. Thank you. However, I am in West michigan and winters can be brutal. Do I cover them with 6mil plastic?

i left my Tokyo onions alone completely for the winter, no mulch, no fuss. they did fine. our soil is mostly clay. i'm in mid-Michigan here so not close to the lake shore and it is probably several degrees cooler here than you get there.

i've also grown a few other varieties and they've done ok left completely alone for the winter. eat what you want and leave the rest for flowers next year and you'll have plenty of seeds, plus the bees will love you.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Exactly and even on Italian beef ๐Ÿ˜‹ Recipe Yep, this is the one she uses. Ensure to read the bottom of the recipe.

This is the best I could do, because the pickled peppers crew, bust out into spontaneous praise and worship with Big Daddy Weave on the radio loud, dancing around the living room \o/

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Amen! Nothing than busting a move for the Lord! Love Big Daddy Weave!

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
H
i left my Tokyo onions alone completely for the winter, no mulch, no fuss. they did fine. our soil is mostly clay. i'm in mid-Michigan here so not close to the lake shore and it is probably several degrees cooler here than you get there.

i've also grown a few other varieties and they've done ok left completely alone for the winter. eat what you want and leave the rest for flowers next year and you'll have plenty of seeds, plus the bees will love you.
They can love me but not touch me,lol I am allergic to bee stings. Get paralyzed.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
H

They can love me but not touch me,lol I am allergic to bee stings. Get paralyzed.

i hope you keep an epi-pen around that you can get to?

many many bees here of all kinds, rarely get stung but it happens at times due to accidentally grabbing a bee or disturbing them somehow.

i work within inches of bees in the gardens, sometimes they even bounce off me as they fly along on the way to flowers. only ones that are aggressive are some of the smaller ground bees which can be aggressive but they have a fairly mild sting. the most painful stings i've had are from the hornets, wasps and bumblebees because they can also sting more than once. i rarely have them attack me because while they may fly at me i don't swat at them i just back away and walk around. the raccoons come and find the hornet nests in the many rocks piles and decorations here. i only remove their nests if they are on the house or if they are near a spot we walk by a lot and they can't be avoided. nests up in trees or other places i leave alone.

a way to avoid some bee stings is to also avoid wearing clothes that may trap them, keeping buttoned up and covered so the bees can't accidentally get trapped in the folds.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey gang! I really enjoy you all. I am learning more than just planting. You guys seem so real. I took today off because my BP has been over 163 yesterday. This morning was still at 153. I have a return legal issue, so lots of calls and typing and finding supporting documents. I had 14 days to respond but I know God will help me on Thursday as I sit to finish it. Tomorrow have 3 appointments in Ann Arbor VA hosp. 2 for the hub and one for me. So will be out and about.
Planted 4 peas and kept moist as well as the scallions oops, bunch onions. I am trying to learn the jargon here,lol
Nothing much outside besides that and laundry drying since dryer is dead. Told hub that I needed to buy real big grandma undies to put out on the line. He just laughed at me. Maybe I should get the string ones instead,lol That will make the noisy neighbors creep,lol.
They are upset because I put a privacy fence between us. No matter what, I will not let my hub go outside without a shirt. It is our values. He is always out almost naked. I do not need to see his big belly from my yard. Besides their dogs are huge pitbulls and are always japping constantly. They are like chihuahuas,lol. My sister has one and I call her the japping dog.
Anyways, keep up those beautiful pictures! I will post mines one day,lol