What did you do in your garden today?

chanceosunshine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
IMG_2708.jpeg

Good morning. I'll be canning some tomatoes today. This was my first bulk pick. I'm fighting blight, so I'm thankful for every tomato I get.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok, got 8 of them out. Still raining some outside. They are smaller than a spoon,lol
I only rinsed the loose dirt out. What else I need to do? Bear with me, I am old alzheimic,lol

what are you going to use them for? basically i'd use them like any other onion. peel and/or rinse off the bottom part after trimming off the roots. remove any of the top parts you don't want to use. chop and cook or eat as a green onion. i like onions in so many ways. any of the parts that might be too tough and not tender enough to cook or eat can be used to flavor vegetable stock.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@flowerbug you mean like I can cut the green part and use it on macaroni or potatoe salad, like the bunch onions?

Yes, I will just cut in half for flavor but once done, I take it out because I do not eat onions. I might do some scrambled eggs with the peppers and onion for the hub on Wednesday, 👍

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Tomatoes starting to ripen, peppers coming on. Am considering pulling the yellow squash and cukes, both are losing green on the leaves, very little production. Pulled the bolted lettuce, picked a couple of radishes (yum). Need to get those beets planted.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@FarmerJamie I thought that the bolted lettuce can be literally to get seeds, am I grong? Mine are still standing out there like towers of Babel,lol wondering when the flowers will give seeds to collect them.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@FarmerJamie I thought that the bolted lettuce can be literally to get seeds, am I grong? Mine are still standing out there like towers of Babel,lol wondering when the flowers will give seeds to collect them.
We didn't care for the varieties (I forget the names). Probably a combination of soil, delay in planting, and weather, it was all bitter. Going to hopefully plant some beets in that space

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug you mean like I can cut the green part and use it on macaroni or potatoe salad, like the bunch onions?

Yes, I will just cut in half for flavor but once done, I take it out because I do not eat onions. I might do some scrambled eggs with the peppers and onion for the hub on Wednesday, 👍

i can't imagine going through life not eating onions. there's only one aspect of onions i've found that i do not like and that is the smell of chive roots. something about those makes me gag if i have to dig them up. the top parts i can eat just fine. strange to me...

love onions. would not want to be stuck in a place where i couldn't get onion rings, or have chopped raw onions on burgers or hot dogs, or to not have scallions on soups, etc.

almost everything we make that has more than a few ingredients likely starts with chopped onions.

Latest posts