What did you do in your garden today?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm at like 320 ft elevation, but the Columbia pulls in warmer air than one would normally think. Our old place in Medford OR is usually colder in the winter and hotter in the summer, since its in the Rogue Valley.

Oh I understand that well. Just going from Umatilla into Hermiston can be a difference and that's only 7 miles. The Columbia effects things.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looked up where they use for ours. 12 miles away, 200 ft lower and in town. They use nearest climate station which really isnt that useful with the drastic elevation changes.

Same reason I have to take weather from Kapowsin and not Graham. Kapowsin is same elevation and closer to us. Graham's forecast tends to be for Puyallup valley at the worst or Thun Field at the best, depending on where you're getting it. At least Thun Field is same elevation and close to Graham. Much better than the weather things that only use Seatac for the entire west side of Washington.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
https://pdi.scinet.usda.gov/phzm/vm/WA150.jpg

WA150.jpg

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Looked up where they use for ours. 12 miles away, 200 ft lower and in town. They use nearest climate station which really isnt that useful with the drastic elevation changes.

Same reason I have to take weather from Kapowsin and not Graham. Kapowsin is same elevation and closer to us. Graham's forecast tends to be for Puyallup valley at the worst or Thun Field at the best, depending on where you're getting it. At least Thun Field is same elevation and close to Graham. Much better than the weather things that only use Seatac for the entire west side of Washington.

Same We are almost to Holly not Seabeck

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My brain,, 🙃 :he I just took a bowel down to the compost yesterday of shells,,, I SHOULD have set them in my extra egg cartons and used them for my seed,, 💩

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/eggshells-natures-perfect-seed-starters-18253

eggshells-seedlings_as183445414-950x523.jpeg

OK, shoot, no I dont want to go down and get them out, so, I have time,,, I can save the rest of this weeks shells and put soil and seed in them as I get them.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you can also use tolet paper cardboard

Recycled-Toilet-Paper-Roll-Seed-Starters-A107704384.jpg

Also you can,,

1. Seed Tape – When it comes to planting quick and easy flowerbeds or perfect rows of lettuce, seed tape is essential. Make your own by cutting newspapers into 1-inch wide strips. Then mix 1/4 cup of flour with just enough water to make a sticky paste. Use a toothpick to dab the paste onto your newspaper strips, place the seeds on the drops of paste, and let your seed tape dry before planting.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
you can also use tolet paper cardboard

Recycled-Toilet-Paper-Roll-Seed-Starters-A107704384.jpg

Also you can,,

1. Seed Tape – When it comes to planting quick and easy flowerbeds or perfect rows of lettuce, seed tape is essential. Make your own by cutting newspapers into 1-inch wide strips. Then mix 1/4 cup of flour with just enough water to make a sticky paste. Use a toothpick to dab the paste onto your newspaper strips, place the seeds on the drops of paste, and let your seed tape dry before planting.
For carrots, lettuce, celery and the like. I use a cheap roll of single ply toilet paper. Hoe a shallow V trench. Roll out TP in the trench. Now you can see the seeds against the white TP, that otherwise disappear in the dark dirt. Backfill the trench with a rake and done.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸