What did you do in your garden today?

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There have been cases here where the Government has tried to declare farm land a wetland which can't be touched/developed etc, one such case recently was thrown out of court and the local council had to reimburse the landowner court costs (very rare that happens).
My pond is only small so it would not be an issue. If you can prove you have made the pond and it wasn't naturally occuring it would be fine, draining an existing wetland area by putting in ditches would land you in some serious trouble potentially jail time. View attachment 22438

Great thinking on getting an aerial pic

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
there's so little wetland left around here but this entire area used to be fairly swampy and woodlands. now it's mostly farm lands. i have no problem with making sure existing wetlands are not destroyed further. when you buy land you should know what you're buying.

i wouldn't mind buying land with the intention of turning it back to wetlands but that is money i don't have so no worries there. some of the water coming through the ditches could use some cleaning up and wetlands do exactly that sort of thing.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My garden was , starting over, last February. It took me 2 week to, by hand dig up all of grass,, then haul a dump truck load, one wheelbarrow at a time , filled with garden soil up to the bed area from the lower driveway. It was very hard but I did it.

I have a turning fork for the tough spots that had rocks,
I use this plow, https://cottagecraftworks.com/easy-hand-push-garden-cultivator
easy-hand-push-graden-cultivator.jpg

It takes work but its worth it

Where is the Rottweiler hitch on that contraption? JK... 🤣

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Vacuumed the seed shelf and took all the lights down, cleaned them and took the bulbs out and cleaned them also. The bulbs get dirty, clean bulbs = more light. More light is good. Ready to start seeds, early this year, what's up with that? Cabbages and cauliflower get sowed first (first week in February for my neck of the woods). But I"m not growing cabbages again this year and "might" try cauliflower, IDK... I haven't had much success with cauliflower. I get small heads, gets to hot to fast. Maybe if I can find a quick growing cauliflower I might try again. But at least I got the seed shelf ready to go.
IMG_20230129_195927887.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Guess I'm hooked... I just ordered F1 hybrids

* califlower - Snow King (50 days; 8 to 9 inch heads; very early; heat tolerant)
* broccoli - Green Comet (55 days; early; heat tolerant)

Eventhough I try and grow heirlooms/open pollinated, I'll give these hybrids a try. Only because I need them to mature faster than the heirlooms/open pollinated do. It just gets to warm too fast here.

Don't know unless I try

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Guess I'm hooked... I just ordered F1 hybrids

* califlower - Snow King (50 days; 8 to 9 inch heads; very early; heat tolerant)
* broccoli - Green Comet (55 days; early; heat tolerant)

Eventhough I try and grow heirlooms/open pollinated, I'll give these hybrids a try. Only because I need them to mature faster than the heirlooms/open pollinated do. It just gets to warm too fast here.

Don't know unless I try

I pretty much grow only F1 hybrids because of having a short frost free growing season. Some years it is less than 90 days.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I
Vacuumed the seed shelf and took all the lights down, cleaned them and took the bulbs out and cleaned them also. The bulbs get dirty, clean bulbs = more light. More light is good. Ready to start seeds, early this year, what's up with that? Cabbages and cauliflower get sowed first (first week in February for my neck of the woods). But I"m not growing cabbages again this year and "might" try cauliflower, IDK... I haven't had much success with cauliflower. I get small heads, gets to hot to fast. Maybe if I can find a quick growing cauliflower I might try again. But at least I got the seed shelf ready to go.
View attachment 22466

didnt grow cabbage last year, I , at first wasnt going to sow a garden last year, I was just going to focus on bed prep and all of the rest of the work needed on the new property, but. I am glad I did go a head and get it done.