What did you do in your garden today?

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So sorry about the garden plot not working out this year.... @FarmerJamie .... Guess you will have to deal with the produce place that you got some things from last year.

We have been getting rain since Monday afternoon when it started. Ground is pretty well saturated but I am not going to complain as it has been a mix of light then heavier rain, then sprinkles and such... perfect for really soaking in and down deep in the soil.

Had 2 inches over Monday aft and night... have had another 1.1 inches to this afternoon... That's about our normal for the month... not ideal to get it all at once like this, but still, it hasn't been all that hot so it could definitely be worse. Still more showers/rain in the forecast... maybe sun on Sunday... then another round the first of next week.... It has sure been chilly though... 60 was the high for today, was down to 53 last night.

Some flower buds on the top of the first row of potatoes that were planted about a week before the rest... and I saw a few yellow flowers on the tomatoes but they won't be fertile in this cold temps... still it is good to see a little progress...
Got the rest of the rows of potatoes all mulched in the last 2 days... got in a rhythm and just got quite a bit done yesterday and finished up 2 1/2 rows this morning... it was starting to rain a bit and I was getting a little wet the last 3-4 fork fulls of hay I was carrying to the other end.... Now I have a 6x10 spot that will get re-worked and planted with some later green beans and mulched when I do it but I wanted to stagger the plantings a little or I will never be able to process them all....
Cantaloupe are finally coming through the soil, and some butternut squash are looking better. Summer squash are not coming along but the seeds were older... got a couple up and replanted the rest in the package... and about 8-10 seeds of new yellow squash seeds... funny how some stay viable for longer than others. Crenshaws are coming on real good.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
planted some beans until the sprinkles came along and some friends were due to drop in for a visit. so i didn't quite finish the garden i wanted to get done, but i can do that tomorrow.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
finished planting Saturday, poked some more seeds in Sunday, then it rained. and today it's rained a few more times. so very muchly needed and appreciated. plus i get a day off. just in time to clean my room... *blech&haha*

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OMG! Seriously? Walk ti the garden to get the babies out, as they are only allowed by the raspberries and big girls can't go in, u spotted a mole or chipmunk or baby squirrel just eating lettuces! It was having a picnic! It's brown not black. How can I get it to stop?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
would not be a mole (they don't eat plants). perhaps vole is most likely. no idea what squirrels eat in terms of veggies because i don't usually see them here other than when they are running for their lives...

rat trap baited with a bit of dried apricot.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, found these pictures on Google that are the most similar to my ground critters. Screenshot_20230626-181018_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230626-181112_Chrome.jpg
But no info on food.