What did you do in your garden today?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bird netting wont keep elk out. They go right through it.

Same for deer netting. Pretty useless against them.
I have had bunnies run right through "bird netting". The same with turkeys. The stuff I see sold as "deer netting" is the same stuff they sell as "bird netting".

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have had bunnies run right through "bird netting". The same with turkeys. The stuff I see sold as "deer netting" is the same stuff they sell as "bird netting".

Bird netting I use is to keep predatory birds from fish ponds. It's knotted and heavier than the deer netting. Can hold a 7 pound chicken landing on it just fine without stressing it. Elk went through it like nothing, but those are 600-1100 pounds. Elk also went through electric sheep netting like it was nothing. Ripped it right apart at the poles.

I have used deer netting. On the inside of the silkie pens to prevent roosters in adjoining pens from reaching through to fence fight. About all it's good for.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was about to ask the same question - is bird netting strong enough to keep the deer out? I was thinking about chicken wire or even better - hardware cloth. HC would be heavier but it might be heavy enough to keep those pesky deer out. :idunno

chicken wire degrades way too fast IMO. hardly worth the effort of putting it up unless that is all you have to worry about. i suspect a deer would do significant damage to it after i've seen what deer can do to much sturdier wire fencing.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Bird netting I use is to keep predatory birds from fish ponds. It's knotted and heavier than the deer netting. Can hold a 7 pound chicken landing on it just fine without stressing it. Elk went through it like nothing, but those are 600-1100 pounds. Elk also went through electric sheep netting like it was nothing. Ripped it right apart at the poles.

I have used deer net
What size is the mesh? Do you have a link?

I'd bought it years ago. Not even listed on amazon anymore. I'd looked recently because its dry rotting in some spots and I need to replace it. It's 2 inch holes. Lets more snow through so less likely to collapse. I shake it when it snows

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
continued getting gardens ready for winter. finished up one, almost finished another so it's good to be making more progress. :)

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd bought it years ago. Not even listed on amazon anymore. I'd looked recently because its dry rotting in some spots and I need to replace it. It's 2 inch holes.
That's probably the same stuff I have over the turkey's roosts. It won't work for the bird netting I need to protect the cherries from the robins. The 1/2" mesh that is available as bird netting is really fragile.

Amazon still has 2" knotted although it may not be the same supplier as you got yours from.

Poultry Netting 50ft x 50ft Heavy Knotted 2" Mesh Nets

Last edited: