What did you do in your garden today?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Such a humble plant. I can't get my head around paying more for a beginner plant than a mature head. 🤣. But a business has to make a profit.

We had rain yesterday, actually a big storm front that soaked and ravaged nearby. I got rain, some winds, then spared the bad stuff. More scattereds today. Hoped to plant but, it's iffy until weekend gets here and I can see how this recently prepped ground looks. Hmmmm. Temps are great for coolish ground seed to go out. Hopeful!

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Browsed seed catalogs with the wife before bed last night. It will be several weeks before we have access, so there is time

Between the plot size, short time frame to get started, and cats in the house that would endanger seedlings (already gnawed on a plant gifted from the youngest DD), will grab some plants from the local greenhouse.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Such a humble plant. I can't get my head around paying more for a beginner plant than a mature head. 🤣. But a business has to make a profit.

We had rain yesterday, actually a big storm front that soaked and ravaged nearby. I got rain, some winds, then spared the bad stuff. More scattereds today. Hoped to plant but, it's iffy until weekend gets here and I can see how this recently prepped ground looks. Hmmmm. Temps are great for coolish ground seed to go out. Hopeful!
I can't get my head around it either and I'm glad I'm not alone. Paying over twice as much for a cabbage seedling, than it costs for a mature ready to eat head. Defies logical sense to me, I don't get it?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Despite the last 2 days being raining our ground is not muddy! We have rocky and sandy soil, so over lunch I went out to start on the new up and coming berry bed. I also filled and covered to warm 2 new strawberry beds (on ground cardboard, compost and dirt). Chickens got a few works and I got some hard work in. Foot paced off it is 4 x 14 and then the bed under the plastic will be part of it too, another 7

Now, question for any of you with berries. Can I plant together (not inter-mixed but in the same bed one type after another) or raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, and blueberries? And can I put currants in the mix too? Or do they need to be separated? This is the 1st bed of 2. 1 is full sun, one is about 1/2 to 3/4 sun.

Oh and the rhubarb is up, will cover with some compost as it is still gonna freeze next week a couple nights.

Attachments

• 20220408_125555.jpg
    20220408_125555.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220408_124659.jpg
    20220408_124659.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220408_124721.jpg
    20220408_124721.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 63

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Plant (and prune) blueberries as if they are trees. They need much more acidic soil than other berries, so grow them in a different area. Reserve 6 - 8 foot diameter of space for each lowbush blueberry. 3 - 6 feet for each highbush blueberry.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Spent most of the morning attaching wire to the panels in the hog pen turned garden area. I need it to be rabbit proof. I'm wondering if I need to go around the entire pen. The dogs have access to one side of it and I can't believe a rabbit would be dumb enough to test the dogs. I dunno...

The lazy devil on one shoulder says "leave it - it'll be ok." The garden angel on my other shoulder is saying "do it right the first time." Guess I've got some more work to do...

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Plant (and prune) blueberries as if they are trees. They need much more acidic soil than other berries, so grow them in a different area. Reserve 6 - 8 foot diameter of space for each lowbush blueberry. 3 - 6 feet for each highbush blueberry.
X2

But also... gooseberries are just a bush... they are what you plant...

Raspberries try to send out runners to take over the world. It can be nice to have Raspberries in a long row, and then you mow all around the row... to keep them from spreading

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
X2

But also... gooseberries are just a bush... they are what you plant...

Raspberries try to send out runners to take over the world. It can be nice to have Raspberries in a long row, and then you mow all around the row... to keep them from spreading
I agree with raspberries and black berries in a row with space to mow around them. Think 12" - 18" wide row. You might want to put sturdy fence around it if you have a type that arches more. However, some varieties fruit on new canes and should be mowed every year and then you wouldn't want or need fence. The more common type fruit on 2 year old canes and you prune canes out after picking. If you don't prune the row becomes almost impossible to pick because of thorns.

Latest posts