What did you do in your garden today?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm skipping a day or two of gardening because of chilly wet weather. I'm aware the weeds are loving the weather and growing continuously. :th

DS15 replanted trays of broccoli, cabbage, chard, kale. I think we will try direct sowing them in a couple days too. I don't usually have good luck with direct sow, but waiting for seedlings to get big enough to transplant will set these crops back too. IDK. %&$* chickens! Chard should grow just fine through mid-summer so no worries there. I could try a fall planting (except for broccoli) so I should still get some produce.

I need to start on getting chicken tunnels in my garden. I'm so swamped with work and 4-H I can barely think about it. Well, really there's not change in my workload and it would be fine if I hadn't had COVID (6 weeks ago) trigger my chronic health problems that had been well-controlled. 😖 I don't really have a plan for constructing tunnels. I might just need to go as cheap and easy as possible (bend chicken wire and stake into the ground) and save a nice permanent/modular system until a different year. I could maybe buy chicken wire today. IDK how I would stake it into the ground. Tent stakes would be easy and it's about all I can think of. I'm sure it's not the most economical choice.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I need to start on getting chicken tunnels in my garden. I'm so swamped with work and 4-H I can barely think about it. Well, really there's not change in my workload and it would be fine if I hadn't had COVID (6 weeks ago) trigger my chronic health problems that had been well-controlled. 😖 I don't really have a plan for constructing tunnels. I might just need to go as cheap and easy as possible (bend chicken wire and stake into the ground) and save a nice permanent/modular system until a different year. I could maybe buy chicken wire today. IDK how I would stake it into the ground. Tent stakes would be easy and it's about all I can think of. I'm sure it's not the most economical choice.
What about the metal U shaped garden stakes? You can get a lot of them for a fair price on Amazon

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What about the metal U shaped garden stakes? You can get a lot of them for a fair price on Amazon
Some years ago I found a deal on 500 of those. Best thing I ever bought! I pull up all the ones I can find and re-use them. The tiller finds some occasionally - but both survive the experience. :)

Found a place to stick a few more sweet potato slips. Need to find a place to plant about 50 more, lol. Didn't know slips were so prolific!

And, I found a volunteer tomato in the former pig pen. Bonus!

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I bought 2 6-packs of broccoli, cabbage, and kohlrabi. Not much, but better than no brassicas at all. $#&% chickens!
Also got pots of thyme and rosemary because they're hard (for me) to start from seed. These will probably be houseplants o at least bring indoors in winter since they can both be grown as bonsai.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought 2 6-packs of broccoli, cabbage, and kohlrabi. Not much, but better than no brassicas at all. $#&% chickens!
Also got pots of thyme and rosemary because they're hard (for me) to start from seed. These will probably be houseplants o at least bring indoors in winter since they can both be grown as bonsai.
I bring mine in during the winter too! I have never grown kohlrabi, is it hard?

Also, wondering when I can put out some thyme and mint (for anyone) looking like we have below freezing temps tonight-only one in the 10 day forecast. Last predicated frost date is today for the Twin Cities, MN which is right over the boarder from us so I use their grow zone a lot, though we can be colder or warmer depends on what the wind does when it hits the St Croix River

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have never grown kohlrabi, is it hard?
Just like cabbage. :)
Also, wondering when I can put out some thyme and mint (for anyone) looking like we have below freezing temps tonight-only one in the 10 day forecast. Last predicated frost date is today for the Twin Cities, MN which is right over the boarder from us so I use their grow zone a lot, though we can be colder or warmer depends on what the wind does when it hits the St Croix River
My mint is still dormant. Still too soon to put young plants out overnight. Do you check your soil temperature? I'm noticing 20 degree difference between various areas of my property!

I will put out frost-tolerant plants on Thursday because the risk of hard freeze is low-enough for me and I have enough old sheets to cover them if necessary.