What did you do in your garden today?

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Finally got my garden plowed last week and then he rototilled it 3 times over on Friday. I got one cow panel up and tomatoes planted along it. Then did a 3/4 row of the pepper plants I had this morning before a computer conference, and after the call managed to get in 2 rows of potatoes ready to go. I wanted to do some more but it started to rain a bit more so I moved the string row marker over and quit. Maybe tomorrow... gr beans, squash, another cow panel up for the rest of the tomato plants, some winter squash and cantaloupe needs to be planted. Might do a small patch of sweet corn.. I want to have some country gentleman shoe peg corn.
Need to go collect some old hay for mulch from around the hay piles next.
Strawberries are ripe, saw the sign up at the place I used to go pick them all the time. Might go pick some in a day or 2 when we get a break from the showers/rain... Could use some in the freezer for winter use...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I retilled! :he overkill but....so is the darned grass! Then pulled 9 t-posts and 3 cattle panels. Moved, pounded in posts, connected panels and planted 30 tomato plants! Gonna rain it's rear off tonight thru tomorrow. I have cardboard, heavy paper rolls, and mulch to put out and around them...after the rain in tomorrow! Will then transplant the eggplant and peppers...sow beans, more corn, beets, etc. 😊

I'm just thrilled to get this far along right now, given work and weather limiting my time. Pland for putting more posts and fence up for cukes and dry type beans. Using the theory of deer not jumping into a double fence area...? I saw hoof prints from one running thru...so no need to tempt fate.

It's a lot of work, for sure!!! But I like to eat. 🙄. After all day in garden, chores done and I'm inside to relax. Adult beverage and premade heat and eat chili works well.🤣

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Couldn't stand it! Went out, put the Kraft wrap paper onto tomato row and covered with hay mulch. Done. I can relax. Now, thinking.....did I read to NOT mulch tomato??? Geesh. If so, I'll pull it off! Wetness will glue the brown paper down. 😲

It can't be this hard! :he :lol::old. Not what I remember. But memory wanes. 🙄🤔😬

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I conned DS7 (Mr. I HATE Gardening) into weeding. He asked what the name Lamb's Quarters meant, and I told him "fuzzy like a lamb's butt". He called it "buttweed" and giggled while "picking" it for his hamster. But hey, he learned to identify an edible weed. Mom win!
So I had to look up a plant called lamb's quarter because I never heard of it before. I believe it's the same broad leaf weed we call goose foot because the leaf looks a lot like a goose foot print. I have it growing here in the pastures mainly around the edges of the fence rows. It doesn't seem to like to be out in the wide open much.

Some times I just like to stand at the fence and watch the cows graze. I'm amazed how they know what to eat and what to leave standing, they do eat lambs quarter/goose foot.

Is this what you are referring to as lambs quarter? This is a interesting video 🤔

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Couldn't stand it! Went out, put the Kraft wrap paper onto tomato row and covered with hay mulch. Done. I can relax. Now, thinking.....did I read to NOT mulch tomato??? Geesh. If so, I'll pull it off! Wetness will glue the brown paper down. 😲

It can't be this hard! :he :lol::old. Not what I remember. But memory wanes. 🙄🤔😬

tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, okra, cowpeas, lima beans all like warmer soil so mulching them early isn't going to get them growing very fast. if your soil was already warm enough then mulching will keep the temperature more even and that might be ok. for us up here in the north mulch on any garden where i'm doing any warm loving plants isn't helping until mid-summer when it starts to get hot enough for them. i normally don't have enough mulch anyways so it pretty much doesn't matter to me.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
another round of weeding this afternoon. getting there in that garden it will need some reshaping before final planting but at least it is almost ready for that now. the edges will need to be weeded too but those aren't as critical to get done today so if i don't get them all done until next week that will be ok.

rains return the rest of the week so the next few days might be all i can get done until Saturday. which is ok. no end of the earth kinds of problems if something can't get done immediately. preventing seed drop from weeds is the biggest thing i'm trying to do now so certain weeds and grasses are priority one. after that it's all a cake walk.

as far as i'm concerned this is an ok spring season heading into summer. i've had worse times with injuries or other things coming up so it's been a good time. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pulled all the double planted pepper plants land eft just one in the ground. Wrapped the roots in newspaper by type. Stuffed them them in a wide mouth canning jar with water and gave them away to someone who rasing two children and I know they will be put to good use.

My wife sowed the first time 3 weeks ago. Out of 2 50 foot rows a total of 8 beans sprouted. So I tilled where the green beans should have came up but didn't. Re-marked the two rows, hoed a shallow trench and sowed heavy the remaining 1/2 lb of beans the shallow trenches. Raked soil into the trenches and tramped down with the back of the rake head.

I can't ever remember having to re-sow green beans before. At the most they are up in 7 to 10 days. Usually 3 or 4 days. But it's been 3 weeks since first sowing and produced 8 bean plants? IDK... 🤷‍♂️

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸