What did you do in your garden today?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DS14 and I are still clearing the garden from not being used this year. We hoed and pulled crabgrass from the "done" section, and started pulling another section of tall weeds. I hope we get through it all before the ground freezes.

DS14 collected some jackhammer radish seeds to save for next year.

I ordered more seeds, and am reading a book about small-scale organic grain production.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Bindweed sounds awful!

Crabgrass isnt too bad, IMO. Just gotta hoe the green tips off until the roots run out of energy and die.

If only I had a way to keep it from creeping in from the edges... my garden is surrounded by crabgrass.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
smothering crab grass and controlling the edges as much as possible. IMO it is more work to take care of a bunch of small isolated gardens with a lot of edges vs. a larger garden where you can plant your patches of things within it.

cardboard layers and barriers along edges will help keep things from creeping in. lawn-mower-spray is often one way that a garden edge can get messed up and made worse. figuring out how to reduce that can help a lot.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yesterday i got part of a garden ready for winter. it will take a few more rounds to get that whole garden finished before i can move on to the next areas (inside the fence). i spent a lot of time the past few weeks making sure the North Garden was reshaped and terraced and transplanted a lot of Creeping Thyme, but i didn't know that we were going to have so much rainy weather so thems the breaks... it will all get done one way or another before next spring planting season. if i have to wait until spring to get some things done that's just how it can go.

rain again today and last night. appts tomorrow and Wed so i won't get back outside until Thursday and hope by then it is dry enough to make more progress. will be using mud shoes anyways as usual.

inside work, shelling beans, i have two box flats to finish up and some odds and ends and that will be it for this season unless i find more outside to pick that hasn't rotted, but i think my chances of that are slim to none about now.