What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife ordered this stacking planter thing for herbs. Each tier holds 1 cuft of potting soil. It should be interesting... What she grows in it.
IMG_20220703_114312505~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Good day! I have never had zucchini. If they are like cucumbers or pickles, no thank you. If they are like pumpkins, I might give it a try.

Love those huge rows of banana peppers. Don't eat the but surely look good. Waiting to finish errands so I can go and do some grass removal . :th
Zucchini muffins with raisins. Yum ๐Ÿ˜‹

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife and I just cut 16 cabbage heads loose. She's gonna start on making more soup and cabbage rolls. Amazed at early jersey wakefield for summer cabbage in zone 6b/7. Will most definitely be a regular in our garden now.
IMG_20220703_122032885.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seems my wife found a nice surprise in-between some of the outer leaves of the cabbage heads. Baby cabbages (taste sweet and a like very mild brussel sprouts) there's enough for dinner, gonna steam them and cover with butter and a little salt ๐Ÿ˜‹ Still amazed at early jersey wakefield cabbage.
IMG_20220703_144836822.jpg

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After all the trouble these two rows of blue lake green beans gave me. This is a pleasing sight. Sowing shallow in a trench seems to be the key for blue lake. They are finally starting to send up flower stems.
View attachment 19413

Squash has gone plum nutty bat crazy. Just think if I fertilized it? The thought frightens me. 8' between rows they say ๐Ÿ™„ they might want to rethink that spacing. What in the world we gonna do with all this squash? It's a good thing National Sneak Some Zucchini On To Your Neighbors Porch day is coming up soon. My neighbors may get more than just zucchini, this year.
View attachment 19414

I never tried it with squash but pruning the vines has helped control my pumpkins and increase the harvest.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After my wife took what she needed for cabbage rolls and soup Here's what's left to freeze for winter. Cabbage has a lot of uses and is nutritious. Thankful we were able to grow enough to carry us through the year \o/.
IMG_20220703_161256611.jpg

There's still a lot left in the garden that hasn't been cut yet. We'll give those away and if there's still some left, I reckon I'll just have to start my own sneak some cabbages on to your neighbors porch day ๐Ÿคซ

Looking forward to growing winter cabbages for sauerkraut.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter you just freeze them whole? I haven't ever done it like that before. I usually shred or make soup first.
My wife said freeze them whole, so that's what we did. She rinsed them well and set outside on a table to air dry, bagged them and I put them in the deep freezer.

I've learned not to ask too many questions. She probably has near term use for them?

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My wife and I just cut 16 cabbage heads loose. She's gonna start on making more soup and cabbage rolls. Amazed at early jersey wakefield for summer cabbage in zone 6b/7. Will most definitely be a regular in our garden now.
View attachment 19416

Beautiful cabbages.

Latest posts