What did you do in your garden today?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will leave this idea here in case anyone needs it. Your welcome!

Screenshot_20220811-141035_Chrome.jpg

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am going to get a fresh load of seaweed to mulch on my garden to prepare it for Tomatoes, I usually put it about a foot thick and give it a while to start to rot down then plant, biggest and healthiest plants I have ever grown are with seaweed mulch.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What ya'll think of this recipe minus the sugar. Why does most everything call for sugar? ugg....

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What ya'll think of this recipe minus the sugar. Why does most everything call for sugar? ugg....

interesting. i have never canned anything with flour or butter in it before so I would be hesitant. I would just do a vegetable soup and then add the butter and/or milk when preparing to eat.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Butter doesn't cause issues normally in small amounts, but I know flour will. That much flour will inhibit heat transfer.

Butter is often added to jams and jellies. The lemon curd I like uses a lot but cans fine. It just doesn't have a long shelf life being an egg product. So 4-6 months in a jar. Good for spring glut of eggs.

Im more concerned that everything in this recipe screams pressure canner and they are using a waterbath canner. Looks like a botulism risk.

Eta. Looked at it again. That is a low acid food. And breaks the thickener rule big time.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

I can the raw juice. If I want tomato soup, I use a jar of juice and butter, sucralose, flour to thicken and salt and pepper. I do not add any onions, celery or any other kind of veggies. I do not add cream or milk either.

If you can the juice as is, you can add whatever you want after you open the jar.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

High sugar, high salt, or high acid... all help to preserve food.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am going to get a fresh load of seaweed to mulch on my garden to prepare it for Tomatoes, I usually put it about a foot thick and give it a while to start to rot down then plant, biggest and healthiest plants I have ever grown are with seaweed mulch.
Seaweed is excellent. But if it is high in salt it is best to rinse it off first.

Latest posts