What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you see what I see? Can't hardly buy a flower pot for this price.

IMG_20220812_202724352~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug just read Michigan will get its first frost this morning o_O :eek: :ep I have lots of tomatoes in the plants all green still. I know it will rain since 2am through 8am so will 47degrees be too cold for them?

SW or mid-Michigan is a long ways from the UP. our forecast lows are in the low 50s (Thursday and Friday night), but those just passed and that's not something i'd worry about for tomatoes. the peppers may not like it but they should recover too. looking at the next week the forecast lowest point is 57F, which is good for everything.

the earliest frosts here tend to be about the middle of September on. i t ry to plan on everything being done by mid-September and count any days past that as bonus days. sometimes we won't get a hard frost for an extra few weeks. it's all ok with me as long as i can get most of the dry beans picked before they rot if we get a lot of late season rains.

chances of rain today through tomorrow. also good for what i mostly have going here (a lot of beans). we've already had a few sprinkles.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Having problems with 2 processed hens. Well, there were 3 but used 1 for soup and it tasted disgusting and the meat was very hard. All I did was clean them good freezer them and cooked that one. I am afraid The others will taste the same. Maybe I can make broth with them instead. I really do not understand. As growing up, mom did the same and they never tasted like this one. She was about a year old if that makes a difference. I just do not see myself to get chickens to keep in a cage with feed. I would be not respecting nature. IDK.

i know very little about chickens but is it the variety of chicken which has caused this? what are they? are they all the same?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
interesting. i have never canned anything with flour or butter in it before so I would be hesitant. I would just do a vegetable soup and then add the butter and/or milk when preparing to eat.

ditto. :) tomato juice cans up easily and can be used for so many things or even drunk as is. we don't add salt either.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Worked up 4 rows for Brussels and cabbages. Soil was amazingly eazy to till under the hay mulch. I'll till in some 12-12-12, set and water transplants. They really need to get out of the 72 cell flats.
IMG_20220813_095600457.jpg

IMG_20220813_110801030.jpg

Hoping for some Brussels in the freezer and sauerkraut in buckets.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Seems like it will be raining all day. It has not stopped. I made my sofrito and the whole house smells amazing!
20220813_131335.jpg
Did it differently since the oregano is pure fresh leaves instead of dry one from the store and never put basil before and this time I did.

Then left some on the pot to put some chicken to cook for chicken macaroni 😋
20220813_132406.jpg

@CrealCritter that looks amazing! Need to learn how to do raised rows for next year peppers and tomatoes.