What did you do in your garden today?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe you can pressure cook them or make broth?
Hope I can at least do that. Dang! A waste of 15lbs of poultry!

Bon appetite!
20220813_155904.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Having problems with 2 processed hens. Well, there were 3 but used 1 for soup and it tasted disgusting and the meat was very hard. All I did was clean them good freezer them and cooked that one. I am afraid The others will taste the same. Maybe I can make broth with them instead. I really do not understand. As growing up, mom did the same and they never tasted like this one. She was about a year old if that makes a difference. I just do not see myself to get chickens to keep in a cage with feed. I would be not respecting nature. IDK.

Normal chicken has a strong taste and an actual meat texture. Commercial broilers are 8-10 weeks old when slaughtered so have a very light taste and no texture. If you're used to the commercially sold chicken, it's a different beast. Think more young veal vs beef.

Pressure cooking or very long simmering will make the meat fall apart but it still has meat texture. Anyone really used to commercial chicken doesn't like it usually from what Ive seen.

I eat year old roosters because silkies take forever to mature to see who's good enough to keep. Pressure cook until I can separate the meat and bones. Pressure cook bones then strain. Cut up meat. Back in pressure cooker to make softer. Use in soup or other dishes. Very strong chicken flavor. Older birds taste closer to pheasants. I've never found any difference between the different breeds Ive had. Well other that the visual aspect with silkies.

If you don't like the flavor of the broth, you could try diluting it. You may just not like the flavor.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have not done much of anything in the garden these days. Not too hot or sunny for the plants, so very little water. They will get soaked through the morning, so left them be. Did saw some beetles on the basil and 🥦. Girls had no problem with them,lol
Having problems with 2 processed hens. Well, there were 3 but used 1 for soup and it tasted disgusting and the meat was very hard. All I did was clean them good freezer them and cooked that one. I am afraid The others will taste the same. Maybe I can make broth with them instead. I really do not understand. As growing up, mom did the same and they never tasted like this one. She was about a year old if that makes a difference. I just do not see myself to get chickens to keep in a cage with feed. I would be not respecting nature. IDK.

Yes, they were all wyndottes. I read that I was supposed to put the on ice after cleaning but didn't because don't think my mom did it.
Eh... I say who cares about putting on ice... :idunno

You don't want to cook them while they are in rigor. But, either you kill, process and cook right off (when all parts still wiggle easily), OR you let it sit in the fridge for a few days.. or freeze for awhile... whatever... so rigor is gone before you cook. That is point one.

However, (so, point two) the HUGE factor with any chicken older than a few months is cooking temperature.

If making soup, it can NEVER be allowed to boil. If the water boils then the meat turns into shoe leather. A very low simmer is the maximum heat.

And.. if put in the oven... or cooked however... LOW HEAT. Low and slow is the key.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Alaskan wow, I did not know that.

Just the thought of wiggling gave me chills,lol

Low and slow will be next. It has been in the freezer since last month? I am just scared lol it was like leather and very strong.

I might convince hub to make another coop and get meat birds only. I am not scared of the knife lol. Hub was like, " I would have never thought you had the guts to do them"
He had to kill one because I couldn't. She got very sick and was not able to help her. Being new to chickens and her being my favorite,I couldn't.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Neighbors came over and all 4 of us picked the first picking of green beans. Next picking will be better, there's a lot that are too small to pick. Wife and I picked about 4 gallons, neighbors picked about the same. It was an enjoyable evening and we all got some fresh green beans to eat now 😋
IMG_20220813_203332407.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neighbors came over and all 4 of us picked the first picking of green beans. Next picking will be better, there's a lot that are too small to pick. Wife and I picked about 4 gallons, neighbors picked about the same. It was an enjoyable evening and we all got some fresh green beans to eat now 😋
View attachment 19917

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Finally!!!! Glad you got some, sounds like a lot more coming

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did nothing today in the garden. With a whole day of rain yesterday, my grass was scream at me. So cut the grass in 1 acre. My behind fell numb and that. Let the girls and quackies out for about 3 hours. Put them back, showered and ready to hit the sack!
Might need help with this counting back in spring. Not good at math at all if it is not 1+1,lol I was reading up on the gandules. It say it gets mature at 100 days. It does not like any cold weather. Hope I an pick your minds for help. I wish I could do bananas, plaintains,mangoes, quenepas and soursop. Same with other root veggies that I like but the timing I am afraid of not getting.
I love Michigan, I just miss my beloved food from home!

Screenshot_20220814-183644_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-183710_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-183930_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-184104_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-184220_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-184327_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-184345_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220814-184440_Chrome.jpg