Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Still 2 weeks until planting time.
20230518_114510.jpg
20230518_114532.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
continued weeding to get the gardens inside the fence ready for planting. i only have a few smaller areas to finish and i should go through the strawberry patch but it is flowering and so i will probably leave it go until after they are done fruiting (if there are any this season).

it's coming along well enough. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sure hope you get tons of strawberries! I have one plant, lol. One. I'lll be thrilled if I get one strawberry!

us too! i love fresh strawberries. i hope the frost we had didn't mess them up.

i started with five plants and by the end of the first season i had about 130 plants plus gave away 35 or so more. eventually i picked up a few everbearing ones to give me some different berries, but they pretty much no longer produce more than the main crop. i'm getting too much shade back there now and the whole patch needs to be renovated again but i'm not getting that done with other projects being a higher priority.

within a few years i had four large strawberry patches and many thousand plants (i could pick and put up 50 pints as jam in four days and still have plenty to call others to come pick) but only one patch was inside the fence.

then the deer found them and started eating them all and now i just have the patch inside the fence and a few other strawberry plants around but they rarely produce much. the deer eat the plants as soon as they can find them. :(

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Holy Cow! Fifty pints of jam....YUM!

yes, it was very good as i made it into freezer jam. now i'm lucky to make any jam at all ... or i call it just frozen berries with some sugar as i don't use pectin any more - it tastes about the same and i don't care if it is runny. most the time we use it for shortcakes anyways.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i looked like we'd get some rain this morning, but that line of storms fizzled out as it hit the valley so we didn't get anything from that, so a bit later i went out and watered.

it started raining about a half hour ago. which is good as there are many plants out there that didn't get watered that could use this. rainwater is almost always better than wellwater anyways. :)