What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Picked green beans and took up the last of the cabbae. Okra is coming along and peppers are blooming. Weeds are thriving!

weeds are a good sign as it tells you that your soil is fertile and you have enough moisture. also weeds are good organic matter if you can chop them back before they drop too many seeds.

at least these are things i keep telling myself. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and some other things to consider about weeds is that they are harvesting energy from the sun and generating oxygen and carbohydrates and doing all sorts of other things while they are alive like feeding your soil community (including the bacteria and fungi, but then the larger creatures like the wormies :) ).

then you can also consider that where one weed is growing it can prevent an even worse weed from being there.

in driving along yesterday i was noticing this long strip along the edge of a farm field where they've not controlled the thistles (all fields around us now have thistle problems and the farmers do not manage them for this).

Last edited:

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Been watering the messy lettuces, lol it is really a mess in that bed. Tater are so big now. The cilantro is grbut the oregano is all over its bed. My culantro never took. Put some more inside the house to try it again. My tomatoes are ok but still small. Got them all in their individual pot as well as 32 bell pepper seedlings. They are not growing, ugh! I think I need to start more corn. Only have 10 and wanted to fill the back side of the garden.
Need to do the peas and beans next week. Waiting for a bit more heat.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
More T posts in. Just the side for the gate to go. I've decided I'll still put a gate there big enough for the tiller and wheelbarrow, but I think I'll hang a small gate on the side as well. Just one I can walk through and take the hose.

This isn't bad progress for fat asthmatic me. I've lost some weight but the bad asthma still limits me.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, up early and went to check on the mower tractor then to leave firetruck at mechanic. It a red 4 doors chevy blazer that I call it firetruck. They brought me back and had breakfast with the girls and watch a bit more of deadliest catch. I am in season 8. They brought the tractor and just now came in from doing the front. Need to cut some trees that will not let me get close at bottom. Called the xhub to come and help for food. He just got here and is doing the back. He asked about the hens that are loose, told him nit to worry, they will run away from that noise,lol just like they are, chickens,lol
Was told at a nursery that they begin their tomatoes and peppers in Feb, that might be why mine are so small,at least I hope.
Gonna need to re-think the garden. I have a total of 40 peppers plant and about 40 tomatoes, :eek:
Lord help me when harvest comes!